Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying Euphonium Mutes

1. Buying Euphonium Mutes

Would the Dennis Wick mute work fine for Strauss's: Don Quixote and Ein Heldenleben? If so I need purchase one.

2. Buying Euphonium Mutes

I believe that Hickeys also carries all of the Dennis Wick mutes... I ordered my dennis wick euph straight mute from them last year....
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

3. Buying Euphonium Mutes

I have a Peter Gane mute that I'm very satisfied with. It has a softer sound than the Dennis Wick when playing piano yet a nice snarl if I push into a forte or fortissimo. I think this mute is doing justice to the soft sound of the euphonium. But then again I would like to have a Wick mute just for the opportunity of a different sound.

The Gane mute is not forgiving so I have to centre the sound to get the payback. This is a nice feature when practicing because the mute will tell me when the sound is slightly unfocused giving a bad response. When the tones are in centre and I'm playing in the core of the sound it will always respond with a nice crisp sound given that I play louder than mf.

4. Buying Euphonium Mutes

For my euphonium I use a Denis Wick mute, and also the Denis Wick Practice mute. The latter is extremely good for developing core in the sound. I encourage my students to use it regularly in their practice. I also use a Denis Wick baritone (in the UK sense) mute for my cimbasso, fits beautifully and is very useful for big band gigs! For my tubas I use both a Denis Wick and a Peter Gane Eb mute; having two is very handy, it saves recorking every time I want to change tuba, and the Eb mute fits my F tuba reasonably well. I don't think the Peter Gane mutes are available now, I bought mine many many years ago.

I can assure Euphyoungvituoso89 that the Wick mutes are excellent for both Don Q and Heldenleben, as I've played both several times ( on tuba, but my Wick euphonium mute was used by the euphonium player. I think having the same mutes aided with blend, particularly in the Don Q.

All Denis Wick products, mouthpieces, mutes, valve oil and sheet music can be bought from his website, and I believe that they are being imported into USA by a firm called Dansr, so there shouldn't be a problem with availability.
    Sue

Buying Euphonium Mutes

The first post in this thread has just been updated. Denis Wick mutes are available through the Amazon Tuba-Euphonium Store
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. Buying Euphonium Mutes

my wife offered me DW practice mute for my chinese 3/4 eupho I was affraid it would not fit in the bell but it did.

This mute is perfect for practicing when children are sleeping.

I also have the same for my trombone : great!

It really do not alterate the intonation.

Buying Euphonium Mutes

I've been doing some research before buying a mute. I came across this article by Ron Apperson.

Mutes, or "What are we putting down our bells?"

...and this video about using mutes:
    Ron Apperson and mutes
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Cumbanchero (Rafael Hernández) cell phone video

Buying Euphonium Mutes

I decided on which mute to get. I went with the Denis Wick DW-5513. It came today and I'm very pleased. I thought about ordering the Ron Apperson model, but my horn (YEP641) having a smaller bell, I was concerned about about intonation. The intonation with the Wick model appears to be right on straight out of the box without any adjustment of the corks. The tone is bright - similar to trumpet with a straight mute - but of course an octave lower. The only thing I don't like is the handle is on top of the mute instead of on the side. Makes is a bit more difficult getting it in and out quickly.

Thanks Dave for your recommendation.

I ordered the mute through Amazon.com... with Springdale Music listed as being the supplier. The company that actually shipped it was Dansr in Champaign, IL through Springdale to me.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Cumbanchero (Rafael Hernández) cell phone video

9. Buying Euphonium Mutes

Strongly do not recommend the Humes and Berg, unless you like your tuning off a semitone.

The R&S Jet Tone is excellent.

Buying Euphonium Mutes

Has anyone tried the Humes & Berg for Baritone? I have a Besson 955

Tom

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast