Thread: resonance

1. resonance

i havent went on these forums in a while, ive been having lots of practice and getting better but im still not resonating enough. any advice?

resonance

OK, try this. In the "Downloads for Members Only" section of this forum there is a recording of Roger Bobo playing Barat's Introduction and Dance. I suggest you get the music for this, download the recording, and try to sound like him. Sure, I know he's a great player performing on an F tuba, but a euphonium can come quite close to that sound. Listen to the opening few bars, play them yourself, listen again, play again, etc. Then go on to the rest of the piece.

Bobo gets his sound because he uses lots of air in the horn AND combines it with a very vibrant vibrato. I assume you have a good vibrato already?? He is also a master of shaping the notes. They need to have a good "front" - not a harsh attack, but an immediate deployment of air at the start of the note. Then, often, the volume level tapers as his vibrato keeps the intensity of the sound going.

Your mind and body can work together to produce amazing improvement if you have a good target like this. But your mind will be too kind to your efforts; you need to listen to the recording a lot to keep the sound in your head.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

resonance

Try also to keep your neck and throat relaxed. Problems arise when players tense up too much which gives a thin, strained sound. Also, tongue position can make quite a difference. If it's too high, your tone will sound thin as well.

One CD I found helpful to listen to is Steve Mead's Bella Italia.