Thread: The Devil's Tongue and The Volunteer

1. The Devil's Tongue and The Volunteer

I got the Spring 2006 issue of the ITEA journal last week. Saw on page 30 and 31, writeups for these two pieces. Euphonium with piano acc. Just ordered them. Sure many have heard Arthur Lehman play The Devil's Tongue on the Art of Euphonium Playing records, but there is also a recording of him playing it a long time ago accompanied by a teen age girl on piano. I like that recording much more than the one on the record. Lots more energy, in my opinion, particularly the young lady playing it on piano.

Now, I am not saying that I can play either of these two pieces very well, but I am going to try!!!

2. The Devil's Tongue and The Volunteer

Ok, got both of the pieces in the mail yesterday. Nice to have them. I had been playing them out of the Art of Euphonium books but these are easier to read. If you like triple tongue, I highly recommend The Devil's Tongue.

3. The Devil's Tongue and The Volunteer

Where did you purchase them from? I have been looking for Volunteer. I've been hooled since I heard Brain Bowmans recording.

4. The Devil's Tongue and The Volunteer

Got them from Tuba Euphonium Press. Usually is an insert in most issues of the ITEA journal. You need to join if you haven't.

The Devil's Tongue and The Volunteer

I wish to emphasize Keith's recommendation - you really should be a member of ITEA. Your dues go towards their conventions, commissioning new music, and a few other worthy causes. They publish a very nice Journal 4 times a year and now and then offer you free items.

Their membership form is here:

ITEA Online Order Form (with link to PDF version)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. The Devil's Tongue and The Volunteer

If I can convience my parents I might join soon. I'll have to see what they want to do.