X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonewheeler
    • Dec 2010

Gig Bags (Miraphone 5050)

Just a tip to anyone considering a gig bag for their 5050. The leather or cordura euphonium Cronkhite bag will NOT comfortably fit into their bag. It doesn't even come come close to fitting the pricey Marcus Bona bag, even if you take out some of the padding (not recommended).

I'm glad I brought my horn to see for myself. I suppose you could technically say it "fit", but it was way too tight near the bell section and seemed to buldge too much on the bottom. Yes, it fit, but I think there is too much of a chance. Even the sales person thought it was too tight.

I think it needs about 2" more to make it work. I'm waiting to hear back from Cronkhite in the meantime to see if they're willing to make the adjustments.

Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Comment

• djwpe
      • Dec 2008

Gig Bags (Miraphone 5050)

Originally posted by: tonewheeler Just a tip to anyone considering a gig bag for their 5050. The leather or cordura euphonium Cronkhite bag will NOT comfortably fit into their bag. It doesn't even come come close to fitting the pricey Marcus Bona bag, even if you take out some of the padding (not recommended).

I'm glad I brought my horn to see for myself. I suppose you could technically say it "fit", but it was way too tight near the bell section and seemed to buldge too much on the bottom. Yes, it fit, but I think there is too much of a chance. Even the sales person thought it was too tight.

I think it needs about 2" more to make it work. I'm waiting to hear back from Cronkhite in the meantime to see if they're willing to make the adjustments.

This is odd. When I ordered my 5050 from Dillon, I had them order a Cronkhite bag for it. The bag was tight when new, but fits great now.

Note that I did have to adjust my K&M stand, since the 5050 was measurably wider than my sterling from the bell stack to the outer branch.

Comment

• pam
        • Oct 2007

Gig Bags

djwpe, it's possible (likely) that Dillon special-ordered a bag to fit your 5050 rather than simply ordering a standard "one-size-kind-of-fits-anything" bag since they would certainly be aware of 5050's excess girth.

It sounds like Tonewheeler visited a music store (Baltimore Brass? Ferguson?) and tried the standard size Cronkhite (and a Marcus Bonna) that they had in stock since he mentions taking his horn along.

Comment

• djwpe
          • Dec 2008

Gig Bags

Pam, I meant exactly that. Sorry for not being clear.

Don Winston

Comment

• Euphdad
            • Aug 2007

Gig Bags

We have a 5050 that fits very well in the Marcus Bonna.

Comment

• tonewheeler
              • Dec 2010

Gig Bags

I should clarify what I said. It fit, but it was tight around the bell area which was a concern of mine. When the sales person gave me the concerned look, it bothered me more. It was somewhat of a chore putting it in and taking it out of the bag.

I did not preorder my bag like some others (maybe I should have). I just didn't want to take the chance and damage my horn. I think the safer route is just to order it "custom" or made for the 5050.

I really like the quality and look of the Bona but it wasn't even close to fitting my 5050.

Euphs:
              Yamaha 201 Baritone
              Groups:

Comment

• Euphdad
                • Aug 2007

Gig Bags

I found the 5050 snug in the Marcus Bona but not to where it bothered me. Then again ours was bought used and might have been somewhat worked in. It zipped without a problem and I did not find the bag straining at any point. Truth is I make leather specialty bags and briefcases (one of my sites www.smokinholsters.com) for a living and while I wouldn't take on making a fitted protective case for a euph I do think I understand as bit about fit and construction. Either way I was satisfied with what I saw.

Comment

• tonewheeler
                  • Dec 2010

Gig Bags

I received a suprise early Christmas gift via Cronkhite. It was a custom fit black leather bag for my 5050! I am totally thrilled with the fit and quality.

Euphs:
                  Yamaha 201 Baritone
                  Groups:

Comment

• BrandonJones
                    • Feb 2008

Gig Bags

FWIW, I think that Glenn makes THE best gig bags on the market right now. I can really tell that Glenn takes immense pride in his work, and every detail of the bag is not only secure and safe, but is just gorgeous. They are pricey, but the old saying "you get what you pay for..." really is true here. And, ultimately, it's not THAT much to pay for a case to protect your more-than-likely $5K+ "baby"...
                    Brandon Jones
                    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
                    bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• tonewheeler
                      • Dec 2010

Gig Bags

Any truth to the rumor that leaving your horn in a Cronkhite leather bag over extended periods will cause it to tarnish?

Euphs:
                      Yamaha 201 Baritone
                      Groups:

Comment

• RickF
                        • Jan 2006

Gig Bags

Originally posted by: tonewheeler

Any truth to the rumor that leaving your horn in a Cronkhite leather bag over extended periods will cause it to tarnish?
                        I have a leather Cronkhite bag (bought used) and it does speed up the tarnish. It mainly shows up around the edges of the bell, but also other places on the horn. I bought a shower cap (terry cloth lined) and put it over the bell before putting my horn in the bag. I also added some long strips of Pacific Silver cloth (2" wide sewn together) and stuffed it into the inside seams. This helps some too, but not a cure-all. What I usually do is take my horn out of the bag when I'm home and place it on the bed in a spare bedroom. There's a bit of exposed leather in the seams between the padding inside the bag. I've spoken with Glenn Cronkhite about this and he told me there were just a few complaints about tarnish with his leather bag. Maybe he's changed something recently to help this - don't know.
                        Rick Floyd
                        Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                        Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                        The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                        Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• tonewheeler
                          • Dec 2010

Gig Bags

Thanks Rick.

I took a look at mine and there doesn't appear to be any gaps in the lining where the leather might be exposed. I still think the terry cloth lined shower cap is a good idea and I'll be picking one up soon.

Dan

Euphs:
                          Yamaha 201 Baritone
                          Groups:

Comment

• djwpe
                            • Dec 2008

Gig Bags

Originally posted by: RickF
                            Originally posted by: tonewheeler Any truth to the rumor that leaving your horn in a Cronkhite leather bag over extended periods will cause it to tarnish?
                            I have a leather Cronkhite bag (bought used) and it does speed up the tarnish. It mainly shows up around the edges of the bell, but also other places on the horn. I bought a shower cap (terry cloth lined) and put it over the bell before putting my horn in the bag. I also added some long strips of Pacific Silver cloth (2" wide sewn together) and stuffed it into the inside seams. This helps some too, but not a cure-all. What I usually do is take my horn out of the bag when I'm home and place it on the bed in a spare bedroom. There's a bit of exposed leather in the seams between the padding inside the bag. I've spoken with Glenn Cronkhite about this and he told me there were just a few complaints about tarnish with his leather bag. Maybe he's changed something recently to help this - don't know.

My Cronkhite bag (new in October of 2011) does cause tarnish around the bell rim of my 5050 within 2 or 3 days. Not really much of a problem, since the horn mostly lives in a stand in my practice room. If the horn is in the bag long enough to tarnish, that means I'm not practicing enough

Don Winston

Comment

• tonewheeler
                              • Dec 2010

Gig Bags

Thanks Don. I'm with you. If it starts to tarnish it just means that I need to practice more!! Or maybe I should just move out one of my teenagers and give the 5050 its own bed like Rick.

Euphs:
                              Yamaha 201 Baritone
                              Groups:

Comment

• BrandonJones
                                • Feb 2008

Gig Bags

There's a type of silver polish you can put on your horn and it acts also as a protective coat... I can't recall what it is at this moment, of course... :/ My Cronkhite bag does not tarnish my bell, but years ago I did have a Reunion Blues bag that did tarnish it pretty badly, not just the bell rim. This was AFTER Glenn had separated from RB.
                                Brandon Jones
                                Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
                                bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X