• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Gig Bags

Altieri Euphonium Gig Bag Euphonium - upright bell gig bag
    This is the same brand I have used for years, and it has been great. It is lasting very well and has protected the horn nicely. It has also proven to be very comfortable to "wear."

Allora Wheeled Gig Bag
    This bag is not quite as well-made as some of the more expensive alternative but is probably servicable and a good value.

Allora Wheeled Gig Bag
    If you don't feel comfortable with a hard case or a gig bag on your back, this would be a great alternative.

(No photo available)
    Reunion Blues Euphonium Bell Up Leather Gig Bags Euponium upright bell black leather
    Beautiful leather bag for those who like something special. About twice the cost of the fabric bags, but it should last very well.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium
  • keithbarton
    • Mar 2006

Gig Bags

I have a Tuxedo brand gig bag that is similar to that Altieri. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world when I started using it, especially for the one concert we play each year at a Fair where you have to hike in to get to the stage. And now that is the only place I use it. Every where else I use the hard case. Why? Because I saw a tuba get crunched in one of the big gig bags. At a concert a few years ago, one of the tuba players had put his horn down in a dark spot back stage - black bag big and cumbersome - and someone didn't see it and stepped on it. It wasn't a pretty picture at all. I know that after I went 30 years without playing I thought that gig bag was heaven sent compared to what I remembered in highschool having to tote that horn around in the hard case. I tote the horn in the hard case 99% of the time now. My arms are stronger for it. Horn is protected better. Just my opinion, I have two unreplaceable Imperials and I don't want anything to happen to them if I can help it.

Comment

• blueeuph
      • Feb 2006

Gig Bags

That Allora Wheeled Gig Bag looks nice. I wonder tough it is. The price looks attractive if I wanted a new gig bag. I currently use a protec bag. Its alright but its not something that I would of put in the trunk of my car esp. with the roads and highways in Manitoba nowdays.

Comment

• Euphyoungvituoso89
        • Jul 2006

Gig Bags

how would you guys rate the pro-tec gig bag... I might be getting one and I need to know how it owuld fit a yamaha 642 and just some good things to know before I buy it.

Comment

• brasshatter
          • Feb 2006

Gig Bags

Don't know if you ever purchased your gig bag, but I got a Duralite Model 520 for my YEP 842 at a reasonable price from Luscombe Violins Inc. in Ontario. It is nicely padded and thus very protective of my horn (as am I). The company have a variety of bags in their on-line catalogue. Euph and Tuba info can be found at
          http://www.violins.on.ca/tuba_bags.html

Comment

• bssplyer
            • Jul 2007

Gig Bags

I've had a Reunion Blues fabric bag for years and I love it. I'm still in college and I own a YEP 642S. I don't think there is really anything better for moving it back and forth from rehearsal to rehearsal, and the hard case wouldn't fit in my locker anyway. It's still a bag so it won't protect like a hard case, but I've had some things fall off tables that would have dented the bare horn and the bag did prevent it.

Comment

• Fabian
              • Dec 2007

Gig Bags

I play the Sterling Virtuoso a little while now and the standard gigbag is I thinks the best you can get on this moment.

Bags Euphonium 4265 GIGBAG
              http://www.rockshop.de/oshop-1....html?&campaign=Kelkoo

Comment

• Rocke
                • Mar 2008

Gig Bags

I'm looking for a case for colllege in the fall, esspecially when i will be going back and forth on campus. After doing some reaserch i like the Soundwear Professional Euphonium case the best. It seems to offer great protection and convenience, which i will need. i liked this one more that the soundwear performers euphonium case because of a couple features the other has, which i think i will appreciate more in the long run. What do you guys think?

Link to Soundwear Professional Euphonium Case:
                http://www.wwbw.com/Soundwear--i760861.music

Comment

• pgiampi1
                  • Apr 2008

Gig Bags

I bought a Soundwear bag recently, and I love it. It's a bit bulkier than most bags (I used to have a Reunion Blues) but it's pretty obvious that the horn is better protected than with other bags. It has a ton of pockets and I now use it as the only bag I bring to school with me (I teach middle school band), so it carries my horn, horn related stuff, and other school stuff (papers, trumpet mouthpiece, reeds, etc.)

Comment

• GregEuphonium
                    • Jun 2007

Gig Bags

I bought a soundwear gigbag over the summer and i really love it. I agree with Phil, it's a great bag but it is quite bulky. The bag's size made it a bit difficult to travel with when I went to Alabama for one of my grad school auditions, however, the amount of protection and space it provides for music and other "stuff" makes it well worth it. I really love the bag, and it has become the only bag that I use. It's a bit pricey, but worth the money.
                    Gregory E. Lopes
                    Euphonium player
                    US Navy Band Great Lakes
                    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

Comment

• BrandonJones
                      • Feb 2008

Gig Bags

Anyone familiar with the protection of the Allora wheelie bag? I'm interested in it, but do not know if it protects well and is small enough to fit overhead on a plane as my Glenn Cronkhite bag is. Looks neat though. Any info?
                      Brandon Jones
                      Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
                      bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• fsung
                        • Feb 2008

Gig Bags

Brandon,

I took a look at the wheelie bag aboug 6 months ago, but ended up sticking with the hard case for the extra protection it affords.

That said, the wheelie bag appears to be well-built. IMO, it provides better protection than the other bags I considered (Altieri, Protec, Humes & Berg, Miraphone, Ritter, and Tuba Exchange. I did not have a chance to examine the Soundwear bag at the time; having since done so, I would choose the Soundwear bag.)

The wheelie bag is 32.5"x17"x17.5", so it will fit in the overhead bins of larger aircraft, but it's likely to be a fairly tight fit.

Don't know if you've checked the mfg's and the importer's websites, but you can get a better look at the thing there:

Gard Wheelie Euphonium Bag (in German)

Talwar Brothers (BTW, take a look at the Gard Wheelie Bag Mentor Program on the "About Us" page. You may be able to qualify for a free bag.)

Felix

Comment

• BrandonJones
                          • Feb 2008

Gig Bags

Felix,

Thanks for the links! Definitely get a better look at it than on other websites.
                          Brandon Jones
                          Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
                          bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• bradleyeuph
                            • Sep 2007

Gig Bags

I have the Allora wheelie bag and I do like it with only one complaint. The straps. They aren't the best straps and with my sovereign, stand, music, oils, mouthpieces and such the strap I used to pick it up with broke. With that said the other parts of the bag are great. It has plenty of room but isn't loose by any means. I might put in a hair more to help any little movements present. If you or anyone else know how to sew, the bag will be great and I would just replace the straps from the beginning with wider and better anchored ones, oh wait, I will.

If anyone gets one of these that have the compass in the handle, get rid of it, it will save you much ridiculing.

Jonathon

Comment

• baiereuph
                              • Jul 2008

Gig Bags

Originally posted by: davewerden

If you don't feel comfortable with a hard case or a gig bag on your back, this [Gard] would be a great alternative.
                              The Gard bag does have double shoulder straps so it can be carried as a backpack when needed, a single (removable) shoulder strap if you just want to sling it across one shoulder for a short jaunt but can't or don't want to use the wheels. It provides plenty of storage, awesome bell protection and really good overall protection for the instrument, and has a built-in "raincoat" for bad weather days. Be aware, though, that Gard does have four different levels of products. If you want the best, it's going to cost. Their bottom two aren't nearly as good as the top two, so it's worth it to get the better quality product.

Comment

Working...
                              X