Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gig Bags

Gig Bags (Miraphone 5050)

Just a tip to anyone considering a gig bag for their 5050. The leather or cordura euphonium Cronkhite bag will NOT comfortably fit into their bag. It doesn't even come come close to fitting the pricey Marcus Bona bag, even if you take out some of the padding (not recommended).

I'm glad I brought my horn to see for myself. I suppose you could technically say it "fit", but it was way too tight near the bell section and seemed to buldge too much on the bottom. Yes, it fit, but I think there is too much of a chance. Even the sales person thought it was too tight.

I think it needs about 2" more to make it work. I'm waiting to hear back from Cronkhite in the meantime to see if they're willing to make the adjustments.

Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    The San Diego Concert Band
    Big Brass Quartet- tuba ensemble (EETT)

Gig Bags (Miraphone 5050)

Originally posted by: tonewheeler Just a tip to anyone considering a gig bag for their 5050. The leather or cordura euphonium Cronkhite bag will NOT comfortably fit into their bag. It doesn't even come come close to fitting the pricey Marcus Bona bag, even if you take out some of the padding (not recommended).

I'm glad I brought my horn to see for myself. I suppose you could technically say it "fit", but it was way too tight near the bell section and seemed to buldge too much on the bottom. Yes, it fit, but I think there is too much of a chance. Even the sales person thought it was too tight.

I think it needs about 2" more to make it work. I'm waiting to hear back from Cronkhite in the meantime to see if they're willing to make the adjustments.

This is odd. When I ordered my 5050 from Dillon, I had them order a Cronkhite bag for it. The bag was tight when new, but fits great now.

Note that I did have to adjust my K&M stand, since the 5050 was measurably wider than my sterling from the bell stack to the outer branch.

Gig Bags

djwpe, it's possible (likely) that Dillon special-ordered a bag to fit your 5050 rather than simply ordering a standard "one-size-kind-of-fits-anything" bag since they would certainly be aware of 5050's excess girth.

It sounds like Tonewheeler visited a music store (Baltimore Brass? Ferguson?) and tried the standard size Cronkhite (and a Marcus Bonna) that they had in stock since he mentions taking his horn along.

Gig Bags

Pam, I meant exactly that. Sorry for not being clear.

Don Winston

Gig Bags

We have a 5050 that fits very well in the Marcus Bonna.

Gig Bags

I should clarify what I said. It fit, but it was tight around the bell area which was a concern of mine. When the sales person gave me the concerned look, it bothered me more. It was somewhat of a chore putting it in and taking it out of the bag.

I did not preorder my bag like some others (maybe I should have). I just didn't want to take the chance and damage my horn. I think the safer route is just to order it "custom" or made for the 5050.

I really like the quality and look of the Bona but it wasn't even close to fitting my 5050.

Gig Bags

I found the 5050 snug in the Marcus Bona but not to where it bothered me. Then again ours was bought used and might have been somewhat worked in. It zipped without a problem and I did not find the bag straining at any point. Truth is I make leather specialty bags and briefcases (one of my sites www.smokinholsters.com) for a living and while I wouldn't take on making a fitted protective case for a euph I do think I understand as bit about fit and construction. Either way I was satisfied with what I saw.

Gig Bags

I received a suprise early Christmas gift via Cronkhite. It was a custom fit black leather bag for my 5050! I am totally thrilled with the fit and quality.

Gig Bags

FWIW, I think that Glenn makes THE best gig bags on the market right now. I can really tell that Glenn takes immense pride in his work, and every detail of the bag is not only secure and safe, but is just gorgeous. They are pricey, but the old saying "you get what you pay for..." really is true here. And, ultimately, it's not THAT much to pay for a case to protect your more-than-likely $5K+ "baby"...
    Brandon Jones
    The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    Euphoniumist, Concert Band
    bmjones82@gmail.com

Gig Bags

Any truth to the rumor that leaving your horn in a Cronkhite leather bag over extended periods will cause it to tarnish?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast