Thread: Buying Mouthpieces and Mouthpiece-Related Gear

Buying Mouthpieces and Mouthpiece-Related Gear

Here are a few popular mouthpieces available online:

Denis Wick Euphonium Gold Mouthpiece Medium Shank 4AM
    This mouthpiece is great for older Bessons or the Willson euphonium, which all use a medium-size shank. It gives a much more open sound to the Willson especially.

Schilke 51D Mouthpiece - Silver, Medium (Willson) Shank
    This and the next listings are the very popular mouthpiece made popular by Brian Bowman. I find it a little smaller sound than I want, but it is still a very nice-sounding moutpiece.

Schilke 51D Large Shank Mouthpiece - Silver

Schikle 51D Large Shank Mouthpiece - Gold Plated

Denis Wick 3AL Gold Mouthpiece - Large Shank
    The 3AL was previously used by Steven Mead before he came out with his own line. Many people still prefer the original for its more open sound.

Denis Wick 3AL Silver Bass Trombone Mouthpiece

Denis Wick 4-1/2AL Silver Heavy Top Bass Trombone Mouthpiece
    The 4-1/2AL gives a little more focus than the 4AL. Dan Vinson (Coast Guard Band) used it for some time and really sounded great on it.

Denis Wick 4BL Silver Bass Trombone Mouthpiece
    The 4BL offers a shallower cup than the 4AL, which is great if you want a little brighter sound or a more impressive high register.

Bach 5G Bass Trombone Mouthpiece
    If you are not ready for the larger 4G or Wick 4AL, this is a fine moutpiece. It is an especially nice step-up mouthpiece for players who have been using a 6-1/2, which is pretty popular.

Bach 4G Bass Trombone Mouthpiece
    Similar sounding to the Wick 4AL, but a little more focused. The rim is also a bit "flatter", which some people find gives them better articulation and endurance.

Bach 3G Bass Trombone Mouthpiece

Bach Mega Tone 5G Bass Trombone Mouthpiece

Bach Mega Tone 4G Bass Trombone Mouthpiece

Euphonium BERP

Bach 1892 Nylon Trombone Mouthpiece Pouch

Reunion Blues Leather Trombone Mouthpiece Pouch
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. Buying Mouthpieces and Mouthpiece-Related Gear

We have a Wick SM4 and SM2 (both large shank)
    they came in on a misorder and we're trying to clear them out cheap... I was trying to get medium shanks...

Quest Musique
    1-866-386-5638 (toll free)

I'll list the price on Wednesday

3. Buying Mouthpieces and Mouthpiece-Related Gear

Protec mouthpiece pouch

The protec pouch works finely!
    A snug fit

4. Buying Mouthpieces and Mouthpiece-Related Gear

I was just wondering what were some of the opinions of Loud Mouthpieces.
    They're made of stainless steel, and play wonderfully. With them I have a crystal clear high range and a deep, rich low end. The piece I play on is an LM47, and I had the privilege of talking to Joe Murphy, the creator, about it. It's basically a 51D, except deeper and made of stainless steel.
    I'm not sure that naming them "Loud" mouthpieces was the best marketing move due to the negative connotations generally associated with "loud" and brass playing(e.g. crass, blasting, brassy, etc). I personally think that they are wonderfully made, very durable, and extremely comfortable to play on.
    Last edited by davewerden; 12-06-2020 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Removed bad link

5. Buying Mouthpieces and Mouthpiece-Related Gear

There's some good discussion on LOUD mouthpieces in the Euph mouthpiece topic and thread shown here:

http://www.dwerden.com/talk/fo...did=314&enterthread=y

I have a LOUD LM20, which I recently started trying with my Yamaha 842. I had been using the Bach 5G. Then, about 2 years ago, I started experimenting a lot. I have several mps and have now found that I really like the bigger (and very good) sound of the LM 20. I agree with you that the mp is very comfortable The name "LOUD" means audible and sonorous to me, and I'm quite happy to recommend it.
    Phil J

I've wondered what factors would be involved, if any, relating to a person's physiological characteristics and the selection of a mouthpiece. Everyone has different mouth characteristics. Some have a wide mouth, others have a narrow mouth. Some have thin lips and others have thick lips. It seems as though these factors could play a roll in the selection of rim thickness, cup characteristics, etc. in producing a nice tone. I've always used a Bach 6-½AL small shank. My lips are somewhat thin and this mouthpiece seems to have served me well so far as producing a nice tone. I have not seen any information in regards to this subject and was just wondering if anyone else has. Is this a stupid question?

There is a nice article online that talks about chops and mouthpieces here:

Basics of Embouchure

There is likely a relationship betweens chops and mouthpiece. However, it would not be a good way to predict what mp a person should use. There are people with lips a lot like mine who blow very differently from the way I do, and that would be the larger factor.

Remember, there are people of all sizes and both genders playing tuba and playing trumpet, and they are dealing with a very wide range of mp sizes.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

8. Buying Mouthpieces and Mouthpiece-Related Gear

I use a 51D. I have found other mouthpieces that I like, but still not enough to switch. Those Pro-Tec pouches are also great for tossing in a gig bag and protecting the mouthpiece and the horn.