Thread: Two solos for an audition

1. Two solos for an audition

Hello,

I noticed that the pershings own is having a euphonium audition coming up in a few months. It will be my first audition for a service band... I very clear on the excerpts that are required, but I have some questions about the solos. They ask for two solos, one lyrical, and one technical. I have the excerpt book that is put out by cimmaron music. And I have looked over the recomended solos. I would like to get some input on what two solos would compliment each other the most. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Derek

Two solos for an audition

Why not perform Pantomime?....Combines the best of both.

Ken F.

For technical: there are few solos recommended in the Excerpt Book, and they would work fine. Almost any of the traditional theme & variations solo is fair game.

Lyrical: you could look at a couple arrangements I have done recently (also available from Cimarron). My first choice might be An Die Music by Schubert. There is a sample recording on Cimarron's site, recorded on baritone horn. Another good choice would be Serenade from the Student Prince by Rombert. There is also a sample recording on Cimarron's site. Or a nice choice might be one of Stephen Foster's slow songs. If you dig around in the vocal area, you will find tons of nice songs that could work in an audition.

Good luck (and don't forget to prepare for sight-reading)!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I was going to suggest Serenade from the "Student Prince" as well. Great piece for euphonium.

How about "The Swan" by Saint Saens (arr. Howard Snell)? Gorgeous piece. You really have to work on phrasing and breath control to sound like a cello. [But don't take a breath at letter 'D'].
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. Two solos for an audition

I'm also recording for the Pershing's Own audition. I was going to play something newer than the standard technical solos - possibly the first movement of the Pearls suite by Roland Szentpali. Is that a bad idea?

- CrappyEuph

The Pearls might be OK, but plan your strategy carefully to make the most of the limited time you will have to share your abilities during the audition. You need to put yourself in the audition panel's shoes. They are wondering how well you will fit in musically and how well you understand the band and it's audience. You should become familiar with their programs and try to find pieces that are within that range. They play conferences and do some fairly serious music, so this shouldn't be a limitation. Remember the idea is not just to show your talent, but to demonstrate how your individual talents could enhance the band's programs.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I know nothing about auditioning for this sort of position. But I have an opinion on the Pearls, which is an interesting, very alive work, great to have in the euphonium book. The first movement is, in many places, simply written lines substituting for jazz improvisions over the changes. To play this in the correct style, an authentic style -- to make it swing -- requires a jazz feeling which is not there for many euphoniumists. Even Steve Mead, who plays it impeccably from the point of the score, doesn't really make it swing in his recording. And, listening, a jazz player would be left shaking his or her head....

I think the risk of the first movement is that one gets the notes but not the style. And if you get the notes and the style, is it really what a service band audition panel wants to hear? That one I don't know the answer to.

John

8. Two solos for an audition

My rationale for choosing Pearls is to make my CD really stand out from all the terrific recordings I know the Army is going to receive. Pearls is a newer piece and really catches people's attention, I think. I have played it for several current and former military musicians and they all seemed to be into it.

I competely hear what you're saying about the jazz style, though - when I worked on Pearls, I sought advice from all the more jazz-minded teachers I could find, including Lance LaDuke, Tony Baker, Marc Dickman, and all four members of the Sotto Voce quartet. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a stylistically good performance of it - and if not, I'll try to redeem myself with the lyrical piece and the excerpts!

The pearls is a wonderful piece and your reason for playing it makes perfect sense to me.

I was much impressed by the quality of the performance of "Pantomime" you posted on acid planet, so I'll bet you can make the Pearls really work. Marc Dickman plays an especially fine jazz euphonium (sooo influenced by JJ Johnson) -- you have the best advice out there!

10. Two solos for an audition

The Vocalise and Nessun Dorum are also good ones....