Thread: SM4B, 51D, or ... ?

SM4B, 51D, or ... ?

I've got the itch to expand my mouthpiece collection and would like some opinions.

I play on a Yamaha 321, so small shank only. Here's where I'm at with regard to mouthpieces:

The Denis Wick SM4B is my current favorite. Pros: better tone than the 51D when playing pp, the air seems to flow easily & smoothly. Cons: clean articulations and the high range are a little more difficult, maybe too bright.

Yamaha 51D. Pros: clean/easy articulations, high range is easier, great tone when playing mf or louder. Cons: the tone when playing pp is too dark, lacks color, ...

Is there a mouthpiece similar to the SM4B that has a sharper inner edge? Will a sharper inner edge make articulations cleaner/easier? What is the difference between the SM4B and 4AY or Yamaha 52? What other similar small shank mouthpieces are available?

Regards,
    Bob

2. SM4B, 51D, or ... ?

If you haven't tried the Loud LM-47 mouthpiece in your small shank horn, you should. I have been comparing the Bach 5G, the Schilke 51D, the Denis Wick SM6 and the Brian Bowman BB1 in my small shank horn. I recently added the Loud LM-47. It offers a richness of tone that is hard to beat, only the Schilke 51D comes close. The Loud makes the Bach 5G and the Denis Wick sound thin and the Brian Bowman BB1 sounds muffled in comparison.
    The Brian Bowman produces a very creamy and lush sound, but it lacks color and tends to be a little dull. The Loud has both an openness to the sound as well as a rich darkness, without sounding brassy. And, it's plenty loud. I am impressed that it retains its richness even when playing ppp.

3. SM4B, 51D, or ... ?

I know this might sound so elementary but the bach 6 1/2 AL on a small shank horn used to give me a good sound until I grew out of it. and if you ever come across a mouthpiece labeled "conn artist" and it happens to be in a small shank, I would say go for. I have one in a small shank which belonged to leonard falcone (of MSU back in the day) which my father gave to me. It is awesome and the only big difference between that and the bach's as far as I can tell is that the rim is wider....don't underate the 6 1/2 AL or 6 1/2 AM for a small shank horn...

SM4B, 51D, or ... ?

I would think the Bach 4G or 5G might offer you a nice comparison. The rim should be closer to what you want and they have some of the nice sound that the Wick series has.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. SM4B, 51D, or ... ?

Just got a SM4B from Dillon Music. I love it. I have been using a 51D / 52D with my YEP321 for over 25 years.

I need to practice and play on it for a while, but I think its what I need to use. My only other consideration for a small shank mouthpiece were Wick 4AY, and 52E2.