Thread: 51D? What about the 52D? or 53D? 52E2?

51D? What about the 52D? or 53D? 52E2?

The infamous Schilke 51D. Every eupher knows about it. Almost all of them have tried it, or play on it. However, I consistently hear accounts of the 51D being too small (in cup width), tight, or otherwise less desirable. Why is more attention not paid to the 52D, which is (in theory) totally identical, save for a slightly larger cup width? One could even special order a 53D, even wider than the 52D.

Additionally, the 52E2 seems like something worth trying if one wasn't happy with a 51D.

Is it just lack of marketing or general knowledge that the 52D, and other less-common Schilke sizes are almost unheard of?

Willson 2955 Euphonium w/ BB1
    VMI/B&S 3301 BBb Tuba
    Willson Excelsior Eb Tenor Horn
    Bach 42B Trombone
    Besson Cornet (1960s)

I fix band instruments.

2. 51D? What about the 52D? or 53D? 52E2?

Hello Squeakyonion:
    I agree with what you are saying about the 51D being so wide-spread even though many people pick at it for being too restricting (I am one such person) but I think that the 51D, because of every "euphers" familiarity with it, is the reference for other mouthpieces (like the 12C for beginners or the 6 1/2AL. You can even find charts that describe many other mouthpieces out there (like laskey, conn, GW, etc) in relation to the 51D. I would like to try out a 53D. I own a Shilke 60D and I use it for playing tuba and bass trombone parts. Perhaps it is lack of marketing on Shilke's part, I mean, they have a great selling mouthpiece (the 51D) and why mess with success by putting a different one in the spotlight. What do you think?
    thanks,

I've always wondered the same thing, however I wonder if 52D and 52E2 have other differences besides the rim size. Perhaps it is just a tradition thing, but I know trombonists speak of the 52D and 52E2 very frequently, whereas the 51D is always the "euphonium" mouthpiece in the trombone playing world.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

According to this chart:

http://www.missouri.edu/~cceric/mp.chart/schlmp.html

The throat of the 52D is actually smaller than the 51D's throat. Then the 52E2 I think has a narrower or more rounded rim with an even deeper cup.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

A couple of years ago, I spoke with the mouthpiece designer at Schilke. He told me that the 51D and the 52E2 have the same cup. The rim on the 52E2 is about 26.16 mm, while the 51D is 25.55 mm. The 52D and the 53 are not as deep as the 51D. The "D" designation does not refer to a specific cup depth. Rather, it varies depending on the mouthpiece.

Mike

It's hard to know which to believe... the Schilke designer or the charts.

At Hickey's music it says...
    "Schilke 52E2 - Trombone Mouthpiece, Large Shank, 25.78 mm cup diameter. Very deep "E" cup and narrower number 2 rim."

http://www.hickeys.com/cgi/dis...id=&page=/tnmpce5.htm
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

7. 51D? What about the 52D? or 53D? 52E2?

I reguarly play with a 51D on a YEP321 and I switch to a 52D on my vintage Besson prototype. The 52D's cup is noticably shalower compared to the 51D.