Thread: Subbing for American Legion Band

Subbing for American Legion Band

I was asked to sub for a concert next week with the American Legion Band in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. They're doing a concert for "Operation Lift Hope". It's their inaugural event where they're trying to help end veteran and family homelessness. It's a dinner event where they're charging $150 a plate to help raise funds. In attendance will be some members of Navy Seal Team Six.

We had only one rehearsal, but it's pretty familiar music with lots of marches. One of my all-time favorites too... "Old Comrades" (Alte Kameraden) by Karl Teike. Unfortunately it's an arrangement by Mayhew Lake so there's only one part for euphonium. It's up a whole step from original starting in concert Eb so sounds a bit brighter. It's still a great march and a good sounding arrangement. I went searching for a recording to hear the differences. I found a CD by the USAF Heritage Band of America entitled, "The Golden Age of Concert Band" (great CD too and only $8 to download @ Amazon). Here you can listen to M. L. Lake's arr of 'Old Comrades', but download is disabled due to copyright concerns.
    Last edited by RickF; 09-28-2015 at 09:42 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

That sounds like a lot of fun for a fine cause! I think I have that CD somewhere and I recall it being very good. Here is the Amazon MP3 link:

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-Con.../dp/B001U2F70U

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61a65DYQm1L._SS280.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	3412
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks Dave for adding that link for the CD. I should have done that myself.

"Operation Lift Hope" was a great success. There were 1100 in attendance... that's $275K up front. There was a veteran seated at each table of eight to encourage patrons to make a pledge. If all pledges are collected more than $1 million will be raised. That's great support for a much needed program. We were told that one man gave a check for $20K on the spot.

The band did a good job. We had 20 pieces to play and played nearly all of them. A lot of marches, some pieces we accompanied a vocalist... "Wind Beneath My Wings", "Bless The USA", and "America the Beautiful". One march we didn't get to was "Sempre Fidelis" (apologies to any Marines present). The key-note speaker was good and a retiree from the Navy. I heard him say that since he was a retired chief, he and his wife didn't have a lot of money, but was pledging $10,000 himself. I whispered to my buddy sitting next to me (principal tuba and former Navy musician), that that was pretty good for a chief, thinking he meant CMSgt - or rather CPO (Chief Petty Ofcr). My buddy smiled and said, "He was Chief of Naval Operations" or member of the Chief of Staff. Oops! So he was a retired admiral. Unfortunately we on stage didn't have a program.
    Last edited by RickF; 09-28-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)