Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Key of the Euphonium - B-flat or C?

Key of the Euphonium - B-flat or C?

Originally posted by: mrd

When a Euphonium is advertised as a C /Bflat horn combination, what exactly are they talking about?

Can you give me an example? I don't recall seeing such a claim. It may be a misunderstaning by the editor, because any euphonium plays as a B-flat instrument when using treble clef euphonium music and plays as a C instrument when playing from bass clef music.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. Key of the Euphonium - B-flat or C?

I've never seen such either, the euphonium by nature is a Bb intrument. Which is why I tend to think of playing in treble clef more as tenor clef with a different key signature. (which is technically incorrect, but makes more sense to me than renaming notes for the same horn)

I checked with the manufacture , this instrument is pitched in the key of C and not B flat, simialr to C , F & E flat Tubas vs. BB flat .

They claim that this eliminates the need for students to have to "transpose" ... Seems to me if the standard Euphonium is pitch in B flat with a B flat being played open , that when C now becomes open it would create a situation that causes the student to have to "transpose".

Question >> if low C is now open, what is D ? 1 & 3 .. sounds like I would have to learn how to play the horn all over starting from scratch. I also have never seen any fingering charts for "C" pitched valve instruments.

Originally posted by: mrd
    I checked with the manufacture , this instrument is pitched in the key of C and not B flat, simialr to C , F & E flat Tubas vs. BB flat .
    That just sounds strange. Can you tell me how to find this instrument? I'd like to know more about it. Is there a website?

Basically, virtually all the published music for euphonium is either in B-flat treble clef or in C bass clef. If you have a C euphonium, you will use first valve when playing a written C in treble clef. In bass clef you will play the C open, so it makes sense from that point of view. However, that would put it "out of sync" with trombone, which plays a middle C in 3rd position.

The other problem that might arise, although small, is that you will be playing a lot of melodies with B-flat trumpets/cornets, so the standard intonation tendencies will not align (for example, both trumpet and euphonium tend to be sharp on the 6th partial, such as the G on top of the staff for B-flat trumpet).

I suppose a C euphonium would be slightly lighter/brigher-sounding that a B-flat euphonium (this is the case with trumpets). That could be good or bad, depending on your taste.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I wonder if the mfg made a mistake in the statement that their euphonium is in key of 'C'. I too would like to know the maker of this instrument.

I remember sitting next to a fellow euphoniumist who had a Marzan euph (looked like a Willson 2975) at ITEC years ago. His horn was cut down to a 'C'. I sat next to him on his left, so the bell was facing me. I could never find the right pitch for the 6th partials between he and myself. I'm sure he thought it was me that was out of tune -- and I was in relation to his pitch. I kept pulling and pushing my slide trying to get it right.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. Key of the Euphonium - B-flat or C?

I've seen a C euph listed on wwbw.com. I just searched for it and couldn't find it. It was an off brand Amanti, Jupiter, Allora or someone similar. It was pitched in C, so you can't read the typical concert pitch BC or Bb TC. You would read the piano music (TC) and play it using regular Bb TC fingerings... you play in concert pitch.

Bob

7. Key of the Euphonium - B-flat or C?

Without wanting to see this topic get too off topic, I can't think of any real advantages of a C euphonium. Its not like the euphonium is in the main stream in orchestras where you will bump into sharp keys. We don't need to have the debate like tuba players have of what tuba and key for each ensemble and solo work they will use.

When I am playing off a piano part or a hymnal, I automatically read the top line down an octave. You just need to know that the piano or any C treble part is in C and not in Bb.

I actually did find this instrument on wwbw website. It caught my attenetion because it was reduced from $2200 to approx $400. I thene conatct the Tech at wwbw and he confirmed it was pitched in C. I was not convinced so I contacted the Amanti Manufactures Rep for the US and was also told that this horn was pitched in C and that they did not have a conversiion kit to B flat.

This may be why it was reduced by $1800 ??

10. Key of the Euphonium - B-flat or C?

Getting back to the original topic - I played trumpet/cornet for 30 years and swapped to euphonium about 12 months back (how I wish I had done it 30 years ago)! Naturally, I'm a treble clef reader, but have tried to re-learn in bass. It's a hopeless case for me trying to learn new fingering after so many years in treble, but the main problem is in learning to re-pitch my head. If I see a note on the 3rd space of the bass clef I have to think of it coming out as an old familiar TC "F" on the first space. I transpose down a fifth on rare occasions when no TC euph part is provided, and then write in the TC notes on a copy of the BC part. It's actually easier for me to practice the transposition than re-learn in BC. At least I know where the note is supposed to sound! Long live euph parts in TC!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast