Thread: Holst: question on First Suite

1. Holst: question on First Suite

We are playing Holst's First Suite (Eb) in my community band this semester. (I've played it many times before, but always from the trombone section. This time I'm playing euph.) In the second mvt. there is a cue for "Bar.solo.", which I've always heard played by the euphonium section. According to the director, there is no separate baritone part, and that I should play it. So what is being cued here? No one else plays that line.This a Boosey & Hawkes edition.

Holst: question on First Suite

The standard published version was modified to better fit the standard American concert band. I have played this from a restoration of the original score, which was for a slightly smaller group and DID include separate baritone and euphonium parts. The solo you refer to is intended for a small-bore baritone horn. The rest of the baritone part was distributed to the other instruments (trombone, tenor sax, etc.).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Holst: question on First Suite

I looked at the score today. This line was moved into the Eb alto clarinet part. I guess the editor just forgot to change the cue title.