Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leaky valves = no problem????

BREAKTHROUGH!!! (I have finally broken the embouchure code.)

RE: TubeNet...

It's a tough business, managing a forum. We do try to keep out commercial-type posts, especially when they are not really on target to the nature of the forum. Frankly, I took a close look at your post because it had a few items that raised a mental flag. First, it was clearly promoting something of "yours" in some sense. Second, and equally flaggish, is the fact that you had no history on the forum. Third, there were several external links in your post, which can be a good thing or a not-so-good thing.

You can imagine, I'm sure, what the motivation is. We want to keep the forum a safe place (free of scams) and a place rich with information of interest to the audience and with little "clutter" that is too far off topic. It can be hard, as a moderator, to immediately know if a new user's post is "legit" or not.

It is a little surprising that you apparently had an active thread going on TubeNet that was taken down after time. Perhaps the moderator thought it was either creating the wrong kind of turmoil or that it was dilluting the paid sponsorships in some way.

In any case, I've shared my insight about what we look for in general. We'll probably guess wrong in either direction now and then, but we try to do our best.

I enjoyed the Clark Terry clinic, by the way.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

BREAKTHROUGH!!! (I have finally broken the embouchure code.)

Originally posted by: davewerden RE: TubeNet...

It's a tough business, managing a forum. We do try to keep out commercial-type posts, especially when they are not really on target to the nature of the forum. Frankly, I took a close look at your post because it had a few items that raised a mental flag. First, it was clearly promoting something of "yours" in some sense.
    Only in the fact that "I" have discovered it. After 40 years of searching. I offer my ideas here in exchange for one thing and one thing only...dialogue.

Second, and equally flaggish, is the fact that you had no history on the forum.
    Do a google search for 27,600 hits and counting. I have been posting on various trombone forums and mailing lists regularly for almost 10 years now.

Third, there were several external links in your post, which can be a good thing or a not-so-good thing.
    It all depends on what is on those links, doesn't it? No cut-rate ****** offers, were there?

You can imagine, I'm sure, what the motivation is. We want to keep the forum a safe place (free of scams) and a place rich with information of interest to the audience and with little "clutter" that is too far off topic. It can be hard, as a moderator, to immediately know if a new user's post is "legit" or not.
    I trust that you have figured it out by now, right? Considering the depth of knowledge that should have been perfectly apparent in the OP, why would anyone entertain serious suspicions of anything other than a frank attempt to impart and share knowledge? Have we become so paranoid that everything is suspect now?

It is a little surprising that you apparently had an active thread going on TubeNet that was taken down after time. Perhaps the moderator thought it was either creating the wrong kind of turmoil or that it was dilluting the paid sponsorships in some way.
    I quote a very well known orchestral tubist and conservatory-based teacher who is an old friend of mine. I emailed him about the matter and this was his...obviously quite on target...answer:

That's bizarre. did you save the emails or posts? never heard of such a thing but I never post there because it is loaded with strange people who pontificate and don't play....Really odd. Tubaists are totally odd.

(From davewerden) In any case, I've shared my insight about what we look for in general. We'll probably guess wrong in either direction now and then, but we try to do our best.
    As do we all.

I enjoyed the Clark Terry clinic, by the way.
    Great.

Did you look into the technique I described in the OP?

S.

A tale of a future music ed major and TWO Bessons

Originally posted by: daruby
    Originally posted by: JTJ Well, with trepidation, I will comment that it seems to me, on quick reading, that Doug is talking about washing the instrument at home. And denNIS is talking about professional cleaning, where one professional cleaning = multiple bathtub cleanings at home.
    Boy!...Yes I was talking about washing at home. And yes I am sure that chemicals would clean a material that is not water soluable better than soap and water, but I do not have quick and ready access to a shop where I can get a chem cleaning. The nearest reputable shop (OSMUN Music) charges several hundred dollars for a chemical cleaning ($149 for a silver trumpet and $85/valve for piston tubas). As my dad was a band director, he taught me how to self-maintain horns when I was 11 years old. I have been washing horns at home for nearly 50 years. I prefer to do my own cleaning. This is less efficient than a professional job, but then again I get to commune with my bathtub and dissasemble my horn every few months!! Both denNIS and I are speaking the truth as we see it. We both say the same thing...New horns need to be carefully cleaned. This is not a flame war...Guys, chill! Doug
    Unfortunately, Doug, Felix's post came to me via email and as I'm assuming that you're the one who deleted it here, I thought you might want to know that.

This is not the first time that Felix and I have had a "spirited discussion". I find it surprising that you think that exchange was "flaming". That type of discourse didn't even come close to approximating "flaming" where I come from, but whatever.

No, the fact is, Felix blundered into a sidebar discussion that didn't involve him at all until he made it his business to do so.

But, as you're the mod here, I'll stand down after this post. If that isn't good enough, go ahead and ban me.

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

A tale of a future music ed major and TWO Bessons

This thread makes me feel slightly uncomfortable!!!

I don't really think it is worth this much tension.

Bottom line: Cleaning your horn is good!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123