Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water Catcher

Water Catcher

I'm still using the first one I made, although I have changed the cotton.

Once mine stretched a bit it comes off and on pretty quick. Pretty cool solution to an annoying problem...

2. Water Catcher

I've attached 3 image files--hopefully you can see the notch I cut in the water catcher. The 3rd image shows the actual notch cut.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WaterCatcher1.JPG   WaterCatcher2.JPG   WaterCatcher3.JPG  

3. Water Catcher

Very cool looking device, nice work, but I think this is a pretty yucky topic.

I would rather let me pants and horn catch the spit than to have to handle that thing after a rehearsal..

It looks like the cotton that the oral surgeon uses to keep you from bleeding to death after having you wisdom teeth removed!

4. Hey all, I've found the Yamaha trough and refills available through this website http://www.hickeys.com/products/089/sku89769.htm

5. water catcher work around

Water catchers seem to be difficult to come by, maintain, and use. So, I tried this work around. I took some large felt rings and put a thick one inside the bottom cap of each of my valves - and VIOLA! No more drips. The unexpected side effect is that it also quietens my spring action on the valves as well. No more clunking at the bottom of a valve when I depress the valve AND no more drips on my pants as I play. I haven't tried to see if a felt disc would have the same effect, because I thought it important to leave the hole open for air flow and quieter valves. I have been using this approach for about 3 months with no negative side effect. Hope it works for you as well as it does for me.

6. Used your directions - had to cut a bit off to fit my horn - also added a product to trap/absorb the water. Wrapped the tube in a single piece of black tape and it blends in perfectly with the hand guards I made to protect the finish. Thanks for the advice Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ledbetter View Post
    Used your directions - had to cut a bit off to fit my horn - also added a product to trap/absorb the water. Wrapped the tube in a single piece of black tape and it blends in perfectly with the hand guards I made to protect the finish. Thanks for the advice Dave!
    You're quite welcome!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123