Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Catcher

Water Catcher

Euphoniums and piston valve tubas can collect water in the bottom of the valves, which will drip on your legs when you tip the horn slightly. Besson used to make a metal water catcher that snaps onto the nipples on the bottom valve caps. However, I found it awkward to use and hard to slide on and off quietly. So I decided to make my own.

You need some plactic tubing from a hardware department, probably about 4-7/8" long and about 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter. I use the semi-clear vinyl tubing, but the gray waterpipe-type tubing will also work. It needs to be at least a little flexible. Then you cut a slot lengthwise down the middle, about 3" long. You can use corks or rubber stoppers to cap the open ends of the tube. It will easily snap on the valve cap nipples and will hold a lot of water before it needs to be emptied.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Water Catcher

Excellent suggestion Dave.

I have a valve trough from Yamaha that's designed to fit the 642. I had to modify it to fit my 641 since there is not as much room under the 641's valve cluster (had to shorten it 3/8"). Also had to purchase 3 bottom 642 valve caps (bottom valve caps of a 641 do not have nipples). I also use an insert which helps keep the moisture from leaking out.

I remember Dave posting about five years ago (Yahoo groups or Smart groups I think) that we have to be careful NOT to block any of the vent holes with this insert or it will cause sluggish valve action.

Here's an image of a valve trough for the 642:

My shortened version looks like this:

Last edited by RickF; 07-06-2017 at 04:07 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Water Catcher

Great idea Dave!

The problem with my B&H Imperial is that the bottom valve caps do not have the nipples to affix such a catcher. So, I've learned to deal with the droppings. I've attempted trying what Rick has suggested....ordering a set from a currently made model instrument....and Besson made logical sense because they are the current descendants of my Imperial. I've approached David Fedderly about this and he just started laughing....apparently even when the Music Group was still in existence, the parts distribution supply chain was practically non-existant. With the situation now, forget it with Besson. Maybe after a couple of years when Buffet gets their act together I might have a chance.

I've contemplated going with another manufacturer's bottom caps but have been reluctant since it is unlikely to find a match. The Sterling might be the closest potential match since former Besson employees started that company. Dave, any ideas?

- Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Water Catcher

I suggest writing a quick email to Sterling and see if they use the same thread size as Besson. Their contact info is on the website:

http://www.sterlingbrass.co.uk/instruments.htm
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Water Catcher

I wrote Sterling an email and they said unfortunately the thread size is different than the Besson. Too bad. He also suggested contacting Dillon's to see if they might have any in their impressive part inventory. We'll see how it goes.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

6. Water Catcher

Now I have a question related to this thread:

Is it a problem if I have found that in my experience, that all the spit that goes into my baritone, seems to collect in the 2nd valve's slide instead of in the main tuning slide?

I do get about half as much spit that goes into the first and third valves' slides and about a drop of spit in the main tuning slide per 3 hours of playing. I have not experienced this as a major problem or any problem for that matter, during all 5 years that I have played the baritone.

7. Water Catcher

I think that all the spit collecting in your second valve is incredibly typical of a tuba and or euphonium.

Second. Mr. Dwerden I have a question.. Your suggestion works great on my tuba, but I play sousaphone just as much, and this doesn't work (and the valve casing rests right against my stomach.). The spit (and oils) drip on to my clothing and stains them. Is there something I can do about this? I use a towel right now but It is annoying to use. I just wish they make Grime Gutters for tubas...

Water Catcher

Originally posted by: Richardrichard9

...but I play sousaphone just as much, and this doesn't work (and the valve casing rests right against my stomach.)
    Take a look at this thread:
    Moisture Leaking From Valves

Check out the rubber caps that one reader came up with. Seems like it should work for you.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

9. Water Catcher

K Thanks Ill try it!

10. Water Catcher

In one sense drip catchers for the bottom of piston valves are a great idea, but the minute you put the instrument down or across your lap, you end up with a whole LOT of water everywhere! I can't personally abide the things, and have never used them or encouraged their use. Maybe in a situation where you're playing all the time, but as an orchestral tubist, I get a lot of 'down' time.
    Long live rotary valves - no drips!
    Sue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast