• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Water Catcher

Nuck81,

That looks pretty good. Thanks for providing pictures too.

Just be aware that sometimes these felts or cotton inserts can block the necessary air movement for proper valve action. If you hear any whooosh noise, it might be time to empty.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Nuck81
      • Jan 2010

Water Catcher

I think I got 400 cotton balls for $2. Five stuffed it full. I got plenty of changes to go lol

I tried to make sure there was a little space between the cotton and the nub, but as the horn shifts I doubt it lasted long. I've put on another hour or so since putting the Nucksoaker 3000 on the horn and no problems so far except my pants are staying dryer.

Alltogether it only cost me about treefitty, and I have enough hose to make two more and plenty of cotton. If I make another I think i'll charge about $40 for labor....

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
        • Feb 2006

Water Catcher

If you don't have nippled (zerked) valve caps

There is also the Bach/Jo Ral Grime Gutters. It's a Rubber wrap that fits over the bottom of your valves with an absorbant inner. They've got a trumpet one (usually come with Bach Strad's) and one for low brass, one size fits most.
        Any Conn Selmer Dealer can get them.

It won't do your fourth valve though...

Comment

• jeffo
          • Mar 2010

Water Catcher

As the weather started getting colder, so did my studio. The condensation got me a wet lap every time I picked up my horn--about a week or two ago I finally got around to making a water catcher. I used the same braided tubing as Nuck above. Home Depot only sells it in 10-foot lengths, which is much more than I need of course, but it was good to have extra because I modified the design slightly.

My first attempt, I made a single slit for all 3 nipples (zerks?). As nuck mentioned, due to the rigidity of this material, that was hard to put on/take off.

My second (current) attempt, I drilled three holes slightly larger than the nipples (spaced evenly with the nipples), and then cut small notches with a knife, so that I can push the water catcher up, then slide it over to lock in place. That works nicely and makes for relatively easy install and removal.

Instead of stuffing the whole thing with cotton balls, I just plug each end.

I made a short one for the 4th valve too.

So far it's worked perfectly. Not a drop of water on my lap, no noticeable impact to the sound or playability of the horn.

Not a work of art, but a cheap, functional solution. Thanks Dave and Nuck for the ideas.

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Water Catcher

jeffo:

Thanks for sharing your experience. If you had photos that would be great!

FWIW: When I made mine I had a similar experience with the stiffness of the tubing making it hard to snap on/off. So I got my knife out and beveled the edge of the slot, which made all the difference. I undercut the slot, so it had only a thin edge on the outside-most surface.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
            YouTube: dwerden
            Facebook: davewerden
            Twitter: davewerden
            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Nuck81
              • Jan 2010

Water Catcher

I'm still using the first one I made, although I have changed the cotton.

Once mine stretched a bit it comes off and on pretty quick. Pretty cool solution to an annoying problem...

Comment

• jeffo
                • Mar 2010

Water Catcher

I've attached 3 image files--hopefully you can see the notch I cut in the water catcher. The 3rd image shows the actual notch cut.

Attached Files

Comment

• JBrassLee
                  • Jan 2011

Water Catcher

Very cool looking device, nice work, but I think this is a pretty yucky topic.

I would rather let me pants and horn catch the spit than to have to handle that thing after a rehearsal..

It looks like the cotton that the oral surgeon uses to keep you from bleeding to death after having you wisdom teeth removed!

Comment

• Spencer P Young
                    • Dec 2012

Hey all, I've found the Yamaha trough and refills available through this website http://www.hickeys.com/products/089/sku89769.htm

Comment

• Prof_Campbell
                      • Nov 2016

water catcher work around

Water catchers seem to be difficult to come by, maintain, and use. So, I tried this work around. I took some large felt rings and put a thick one inside the bottom cap of each of my valves - and VIOLA! No more drips. The unexpected side effect is that it also quietens my spring action on the valves as well. No more clunking at the bottom of a valve when I depress the valve AND no more drips on my pants as I play. I haven't tried to see if a felt disc would have the same effect, because I thought it important to leave the hole open for air flow and quieter valves. I have been using this approach for about 3 months with no negative side effect. Hope it works for you as well as it does for me.

Comment

• Dave Ledbetter
                        • Nov 2017

Used your directions - had to cut a bit off to fit my horn - also added a product to trap/absorb the water. Wrapped the tube in a single piece of black tape and it blends in perfectly with the hand guards I made to protect the finish. Thanks for the advice Dave!

Comment

• davewerden
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Dave Ledbetter View Post
                          Used your directions - had to cut a bit off to fit my horn - also added a product to trap/absorb the water. Wrapped the tube in a single piece of black tape and it blends in perfectly with the hand guards I made to protect the finish. Thanks for the advice Dave!
                          You're quite welcome!
                          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                          YouTube: dwerden
                          Facebook: davewerden
                          Twitter: davewerden
                          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
                          X