Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Catcher

Water Catcher

Euphdude,

If you're still looking for Besson caps, just about any machine or metal fab. shop with a CNC machine should be able to make valve caps, finger buttons, water keys, etc. to order if you provide them with either a sample to take measurements off of or the proper specs.

In the musical instrument repair world, Dan Oberloh has made replacement Besson caps and finger buttons in the past, so he'd probably be able to do it again without much trouble: Besson Caps

Water Catcher

Holy Thread Bump Batman!!!!

Mr Werden,

Using your homemade contraption, could you fill the tube with cotton then cap it off? Or do you think that would create too much vacum for the valves to work freely?

Water Catcher

Originally posted by: Nuck81Using your homemade contraption, could you fill the tube with cotton then cap it off? Or do you think that would create too much vacum for the valves to work freely?
    I would not put a wick inside. I have heard some of those (on Willsons) gurgle when they get a little too wet, which can happen if you play in a cool, damp place for example. My contraption is capped on each end, and I cut it as long as possible within the space constraints so there are "reservoirs" at each end. The important place to have that extra length is on the 3rd valve end, since that is where the water goes when you put the horn down in your lap during rests.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Water Catcher

I'll try and make one today. Let you know how it turns out

Edit: Success!!! It works well. I ended up having to fill it with cotton afterall. Believe it or not the combo of Lowes or Wal-mart couldn;t come up with endstops OR cork that could fit on the end. Couldn't even find cork, and all the end caps were gargantuan.

I used 5/8" braided PVC, and regular old cotton balls. The hardest part was getting it on the horn, so my effort may not be suited for quick dumping. It ain't pretty, but it beats looking like I wet myself.

Water Catcher

I've made a similar one out of clear plastic tubing. I capped the 3rd valve with a bit of silicon seal and left the 1st valve end open for dumping. It works well, but you have to get in the habit of dumping it, otw you may accidently dump it on yourself.

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Water Catcher

Nuck81,

That looks pretty good. Thanks for providing pictures too.

Just be aware that sometimes these felts or cotton inserts can block the necessary air movement for proper valve action. If you hear any whooosh noise, it might be time to empty.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Water Catcher

I think I got 400 cotton balls for $2. Five stuffed it full. I got plenty of changes to go lol

I tried to make sure there was a little space between the cotton and the nub, but as the horn shifts I doubt it lasted long. I've put on another hour or so since putting the Nucksoaker 3000 on the horn and no problems so far except my pants are staying dryer.

Alltogether it only cost me about treefitty, and I have enough hose to make two more and plenty of cotton. If I make another I think i'll charge about $40 for labor....

8. Water Catcher

If you don't have nippled (zerked) valve caps

There is also the Bach/Jo Ral Grime Gutters. It's a Rubber wrap that fits over the bottom of your valves with an absorbant inner. They've got a trumpet one (usually come with Bach Strad's) and one for low brass, one size fits most.
    Any Conn Selmer Dealer can get them.

It won't do your fourth valve though...

9. Water Catcher

As the weather started getting colder, so did my studio. The condensation got me a wet lap every time I picked up my horn--about a week or two ago I finally got around to making a water catcher. I used the same braided tubing as Nuck above. Home Depot only sells it in 10-foot lengths, which is much more than I need of course, but it was good to have extra because I modified the design slightly.

My first attempt, I made a single slit for all 3 nipples (zerks?). As nuck mentioned, due to the rigidity of this material, that was hard to put on/take off.

My second (current) attempt, I drilled three holes slightly larger than the nipples (spaced evenly with the nipples), and then cut small notches with a knife, so that I can push the water catcher up, then slide it over to lock in place. That works nicely and makes for relatively easy install and removal.

Instead of stuffing the whole thing with cotton balls, I just plug each end.

I made a short one for the 4th valve too.

So far it's worked perfectly. Not a drop of water on my lap, no noticeable impact to the sound or playability of the horn.

Not a work of art, but a cheap, functional solution. Thanks Dave and Nuck for the ideas.

Water Catcher

jeffo:

Thanks for sharing your experience. If you had photos that would be great!

FWIW: When I made mine I had a similar experience with the stiffness of the tubing making it hard to snap on/off. So I got my knife out and beveled the edge of the slot, which made all the difference. I undercut the slot, so it had only a thin edge on the outside-most surface.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast