View Poll Results: Which 4-Valve Euphonium Brand Offers the Best Combination of Features for the Price?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamaha

20 35.09%
  • Sterling

6 10.53%
  • Willson

9 15.79%
  • Hirsbrunner

2 3.51%
  • Besson

14 24.56%
  • Kanstul

2 3.51%
  • Meinl

1 1.75%
  • Sanders

0 0%
  • King

3 5.26%
  • Bach

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll - which brand is the best value?

Poll - which brand is the best value?

Considering all factors, including price, quality of construction, response, intonation, and especially the value for the money, which is the best brand of 4-valve euphonium?

My vote for the best value is related to a specific model within a brand....and that is the Yamaha YEP-642S. It has a nice sound, very workable intonation, and it plays very open and very big. And it is available for ~ $1k less than the least expensive premium horns (Yamaha 842S, Willsons, Hirsbrunners, etc.). It doesn't have the wonderful blowing properties of the 842S or the rich dark tone of the Willsons, but it is a good horn for the money.

Oh, but your question was about BRAND. That is a tough one. I'd say Yamaha, but you've got the premium 842S and you pay for it. So, my answer is limited to the specific model, the 642, rather than the brand.

- Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

I voted for Yamaha too.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

4. Poll - which brand is the best value?

Originally posted by: RickF

I voted for Yamaha too.
    Well, if a company up here didn't have exclusive rights to sell Yamaha band instruments to any dumb music teacher who could never think of shopping around I would agree with you.

Then again, from a business perspective, I can't really blame them for hiking the prices up on Yamahas, if the people are going to pay double what they could pay for a comparable horn just for the name, I should congratulate their marketing guru.

Unfortunately, there's only 2 companies that actually sell enough 4 valve euphs in the region to be noticed, Amati and Yamaha.

Is this for non compensating or compensating euphs? For non compensating, yahama as much they all but have a a monopoly in Canada (or in Manitoba atleast maybe minus Winnipeg, correct me if I'm wrong on this denNis).

For compensating euphs. , if there was an actual high B natural for yahama 641 and 642 (good luck in my experiences), price wise, you probally make a solid case for yahama. I prefer the Besson sound however Besson had some dogs on the infamous notes. It will be interesting to see what Buffet compenasting euphs will be like and how much they will charge for them.

I've heard rumors that Buffet won't be changing the design much at all - except for making them out of ebony
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. Poll - which brand is the best value?

Originally posted by: dwerden

I've heard rumors that Buffet won't be changing the design much at all - except for making them out of ebony
    my understanding is that they might be made by courtois (who Buffet also acquired)
    Originally posted by: blueeuphIs this for non compensating or compensating euphs? For non compensating, yahama as much they all but have a a monopoly in Canada (or in Manitoba atleast maybe minus Winnipeg, correct me if I'm wrong on this denNis).
    Western Canada from Manitoba to Alberta, I believe... either in BC or Alberta the monopoly ends...

I would consider myself an intermediate player. I am currently playing a 1975 King 625. I have recently started playing in our church orchestra. The King has been OK but it needs some valve work done. I've been considering another euphonium.

I don't need a high end professional model for what I am doing but want to step up from what I have. One brand I noticed was the Jupiter 570S. It is a four valve non-compensating model with an angled left hand fourth valve. To me that seems preferable to the fourth valve pinky finger model. I haven't seen any mention of this brand of euphonium on this site. Does anyone have any experience or opinion on Jupiter euphoniums?

Jupiter 570S:

http://www.jupitermusic.com/jb...&lId=2|4&sId=1&pId=157

9. Poll - which brand is the best value?

Jupiter has been, in the past, a very subpar company... as was Yamaha very early on... also as Yamaha, they have been improving, though not as fast as Yamaha. At this point, I would not be sure whether I could recommend it, which is a better answer than what I would have said a couple of years ago but still not all that convincing.

I haven't dealt with enough new Jupiters... I know I wouldn't buy a new french horn from them... bad rotaries, but my answer is an, "I don't know."

Borrow someone who's opinion you trust and try one.

10. Poll - which brand is the best value?

I had Jupiter send me one of their 3+1 non-comps. It was ok, but had a lot of pitch problems. The sound was nice, But E and Eb above the bass clef were unplayable evn with a lot of different valve combinations. It could have been this particular instrument, but I doubt it. This is the same problem I had with the VMI 3+1 non comp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast