X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darkling
    • Feb 2006

Choosing a Euphonium - High School Player

hi, i am in tenth grade and i am going to be buying a euphonium in the near future and would like some help choosing. i am currintly using my school's old's and son three valve from the 70's. i would like sugestions and mabey some places i can go and try some euphoniums.
  • Euphonium
    • Feb 2006

Choosing a Euphonium

Hey,About how much are you willing to pay for the horn? Also, do you want to play it in the concert setting or marching band setting? Do you want a Professional model or a student model? These are all important questions to answer before i can "recommend" any horns to you. For good stores, try Dillon Music in New Jersey, Custom Music Corporation, Woodwind and Brasswind (Music 123 is the same place so dont bother), Interstate Music, Sam Ash (Ok....leave this as your last resort), Tuba Exchange, and a few other that i cant think of on the top of my head. Some Brands you might be looking for: YamahaBessonHirsbrunnerSterlingWillsonBoosey and HawkesMeinl WestonMiraphone

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Choosing a Euphonium

I agree with Dave Chen's post that we could use a little more information to help you with some advice.

Are you going to college, and will you be playing there?
      Do you plan on continuing in a music career after college?
      If so, do you want to play (i.e. military band or something) or teach?
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Darkling
        • Feb 2006

Choosing a Euphonium

probuly 3 to 4 thoudsend and yes for concerts and a profetional model. and i do wish to play during collage. thank you

Comment

• Euphonium
          • Feb 2006

Choosing a Euphonium

Hello,3,000 to 4,000 would be a pretty good budget for a horn. However, if you wish to buy the flagship models (new that is), I'm afraid you will need to add about 1 to 2 thousand more. The Besson Prestige, Yamaha 842S, Willson horns, Sterling, and Hirrsbrunners all go for around high 4,000 to more than 6,000. For your budget, your best bet for compensating would be the Yamaha 642, the Besson Sovereign, Miraphones, and the Meinl Westons. Also, why not go on a search for old "vintage" horns? Many used proffesional horns are up for very good prices. Although I don't really recommend ebay for possible fraud reasons, you can find some great compensators for a great price there. If you are up for vintage horns, the B+H Imperials (or any B+H that are 4v compensators w/ satin silver), Besson Imperials, and Besson New Standards that are also in Satin silver are great horns. Please be careful that its not the really old ones that have the huge main tuning slides sticking below the bottom bow. These vintage horns are very nice! If you are lucky, try to find these prior to 1975 because of the medium shank. These horns have been really nice before they convert them into the current large shank. Because Besson was still testing around with the large shank, the horns that was made after 1975 were pretty "yucky".Also, please read the "comparison" thread on this forum, its very helpful. Hope this helps!

Comment

• gusmahler
            • Feb 2006

Choosing a Euphonium

Prices nowadays continue to amaze me. I realize that a dollar doesn't go nearly as far as it used to, but I got my Willson 2975 in 1973 for five (yes, 5) hundred dollars new.

Greg

Comment

• euphdude
              • Feb 2006

Choosing a Euphonium

I'd like to second Dave's recommendation of the older B&H Imperial euphs. I got one that had been fairly well restored for around ~$2100. I've seen ones in varying states of disrepair go for half that on ebay, although you might have to put money into to it to get in playing condition. My B&H does show some signs of extensive dent repair work in the bell and the valves have those pesky metal valve guides which can be noisy. But this horn sure SINGS!!! It is the only euphonium I'm currently playing, although as I mentioned in the other thread, I'm looking for a worthy companion to it. If anything were to happen to this instrument I could obviously never replace it. I've had conversations with pros like the Army Band's Don Palmire and they all have extolled the virtues of these instruments.

Dave is also right on in that the older model B&H offer a sound and response that has not been duplicated by the more modern Sovereigns or Prestiges. I think someone wrote to the old tuba-euph list that one of the downfalls of this line was when they decided to switch out the medium euro shank for the larger bass trombone shank. That little change messed up the response, intonation, and resonance and from what I've heard from those who were involved with this switch, Besson tinkered with everything from leadpipes to bells, etc. to try to bring back the magic from the older horns. I also read that Denis Wick was instrumental in this change so that his trombone students wouldn't have to get new mouthpieces for their euphs.

I'll admit that I hesitated going for the B&H when it came available on ebay as a result of the european shank mpc receiver...after all, you have to special order any mouthpiece other than say, a BB1, 51D, SM4, or SM3. That is a hassle, I admit it. But the three horns I've played that had this configuration (the old crappy Willson 2900 I used to own, my B&H, and the new Willson I tried last weekend) have a response and centering of the notes that I haven't experienced with the larger shank pieces. And rapid tonguing is easier, for the most part. I think the euro shanked horns have a good balance of resistance (remember the euro shank is smaller so you're more constricted right off the bat) which affords cleaner easier articulations.
              - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
              Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
              King Jiggs P-bone

Comment

• Darkling
                • Feb 2006

Choosing a Euphonium

thank you theese sugestions are really helping.i currently play in my school band and jazz band as well as the youth syphoney in my area. i also do solos with my privet teacher i just was woundiering if this will effect what horn i should buy. thank you very much.

Comment

• Gerridee
                  • Apr 2006

Choosing a Euphonium

I would imagine you are getting any younger. Would you consider selling your 2975? Perhaps what you paid for it?

Comment

• Gerridee
                    • Apr 2006

Choosing a Euphonium

Could you tell me what models of the B&H to look for. I am looking to get that unique Euph sound and find it hard to get. I own a Willson but it does not have that special sound as I have heard on recordings.

Thx,

gerald!!

Comment

• blueeuph
                      • Feb 2006

Choosing a Euphonium

All the suggestions made are good. You may want to ask your local music store or one in the capital city of your state of any good second hand compensating euphs. You could ask the low brass profs as well at some of the universities. You never know, you may get lucky like I did. I got my Besson for $850US, second hand. My euphonium private teacher found out about this euph from the local music shop who was trying to sell the euphonium for sombody. I tried the euphonium out a week before my euphonium jury, and decided to buy it. It was made in 1972 back in the euro shank days. While it has a few dings and scratches, the lacquer seen better days, the valves being a bit percussive, it sure sings well and a pretty good sound in the compensating range. It plays a lot better then the willson 2900 and a courtiois euphonium which the university that I was going to owns.

Comment

Working...
                      X