Thread: (Arthur) Lehman Mouthpieces

(Arthur) Lehman Mouthpieces

Untitled Document Howdy Folks!

Guess I'll kick off the Lehman thread ...

I've used the Lehman Medium since first taking lessons from Arthur in 1969.

I use the Shallow and the Deep from time to time for effect -- the Shallow is a little brighter, but lacks punch in the upper register.

The Deep has a luxurious sound -- a little too warm in my YEP642S. but wonderful in my old 1950 B&H Imperial.

CAVEAT: None of my students has ever had much luck using this mouthpiece for some reason, but I wouldn't think of using anything else!

Comments?

"MC"
    Glenn K. Call - Rochester, NY

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MC_with_pipe.gif   MC_with_pipe.gif   MC_with_pipe.gif  

I was hoping Glenn would get this thread going! Thanks, Glenn.

My endurance has always been a little below average, so perhaps you should not judge by my experience. But my take on the Lehman mouthpiece is that it is not for wimps. I think it would take a bit of work to restore your range and endurance after switching to the Lehman mouthpiece. HOWEVER, the sound that comes out of the horn is pretty neat! I have heard Arthur Lehman, Lee Dummer, and Glenn Call play on this mouthpiece on 3 different brands of euphonium, and they all sound reallly powerful, dark, and BIG. It's a very impressive result! Maybe someday when I mature I'll try it again.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I have a Lehman D, which I love to play, although it is not my standard mouthpiece, which is the Wick SM3.The D is, for me, an easy piece to play. Its rim feels wonderful on the face, and is about a Bach 3 diameter, but very deep and a perfect funnel. I feel I sound like a bass fluglehorn when I am on it. It matches up great wih the 842, except there is not the edge of brilliance needed to really ring out in the high register. I frequently warm up on the D, using something like the Vaughn Williams "Six Studies in English Folk Songs." The D is wonderful for catching that sense of melancoly which pervades much of the suite.

I have an original Lehman. I've used it with a Willson 2900, but find that I get a buzzing tone. Also, it tends to lack core in the upper register-that's probably just me, though. If you like the Lehman, you should check out the Giddings & Webster Carbonaria. It's got a 102 rim and is just about the same depth as the Lehamn, but with a larger throat. Also, it's made of stainless steel, which to me, feels better than silver. I tried one, and while it was too deep me me, I thought it had a better sound than the Lehman.Mike

I am currently using an SM3 on a Meinl-Weston 451. Does anyone know how a deep Lehman mouthpiece compares to that? I can navigate well on my current mouthpiece and am interested in something a little larger as my euph still likes to loiter a bit sharp at times.

It's much deeper. I use an old toothbrush to estimate depth and Lehman is nearly a quarter inch deeper than the SM3. If you play sharp a lot of the time, it may be because you are pinching. If that's the case, the Lehamn will just make it worse.Mike

Where can one get a Lehman mpc?

I've never seen them advertised, and can't find any place to buy them...
    Willson 2955 Euphonium w/ BB1
    VMI/B&S 3301 BBb Tuba
    Willson Excelsior Eb Tenor Horn
    Bach 42B Trombone
    Besson Cornet (1960s)

I fix band instruments.

Dave Houser used to make a couple of different versions of the Lehman. His website is www.housermouthpieces.com. Also, the Giddings and Webster "Carbonaria" is similar in size to the Lehman.Mike

9. (Arthur) Lehman Mouthpieces

Hello all... I have two of Arthur's mouthpieces. One is a screwrim model. Very deep. I was using a Schilke 51D which I thought was just great on my Boosey and Hawkes Imperial, then Arthur gave me his BIG mouthpiece. I haven't gone back to the Schilke. I told Arthur I was falling into his mouthpiece the first time I used it. He told me it isn't for the faint of heart. I had some problems at first in the upper register but that has been overcome. I did try to use the Schilke not long ago and I just put it away. I have gotten so use to the big Lehman mouthpiece I don't want to use anything else.