Thread: The Carnival of Venice, H.L. Clarke

1. The Carnival of Venice, H.L. Clarke

I'm performing this piece for an audition, and I need any helpful tips. I am a tenth grader, and I believe that this one has put me a little in over my head, but I have very little time before the audition(1 week) so I can't change pieces. I have the basic gist of it, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

The Carnival of Venice, H.L. Clarke

It is pretty tough, but not as hard as the Arban and some other Carnival's. I have a recording on this site that is free if you would like to hear a performance of it:

Clarke Carnival of Venice
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. The Carnival of Venice, H.L. Clarke

That link does not work for me.

Oops - my mistake. The format for entering links in this forum and in my blog is different, and I used the wrong one here. Please try the link again. It should be fine now.

Thanks for letting me know!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Wow, David. Sweet playing. I thought I was gonna hear some LP scratches, but very clear. For this young player's sake, how do the runs lay on the euphonium?

Ken F.

The runs are pretty friendly to a euphonium. Mostly diatonic in E-flat concert with just a few accidentals thrown in.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

7. The Carnival of Venice, H.L. Clarke

I really like that piece. Although is there a copy of it in treble clef so I don't have to spend half an hour transposing?

Yes, the original solo was for cornet, so treble clef versions are pretty easy to find. It is sold by itself, I believe, plus it is found in the Clarke Characteristic Studies book.

Here is a link to an online source for the treble clef version of Carnival of Venice...
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

9. The Carnival of Venice, H.L. Clarke

This is probally my favorite arrangment. If gives the player to add a second cadenza at the end. I've heard David Werdens recording (of clarkes and arbans on double bell) and Brain Bowman. If you can work your way through this one I recommend the one by J.B. Arban.

_________

Does anyone know where to get the version by J.B. Arban but arr by Leidzen. Becuase thats the one on my state solo list. I wish they would pick Clarkes or the one out of the Arban.

-M.C.