Thread: Basic Repertoire

Basic Repertoire

Don Haddad) Suite for Tuba. Nice piece, not too hard to play, pretty easy to listen to.

Capuzzi Andante and Rondo. Very popular and on a lot of competition lists. Taken from a concerto for double bass. Arranged by Philip Catelinet.

Vaughan Williams Concerto for Bass Tuba. One of the first major concertos written for tuba. On many audition lists.

Hindemith Sonata for Bass Tuba and Piano. A standard part of the repertoire by a great composer.

Barat Introduction and Dance. Part of the enormous range of pieces for French tuba or bass tuba.

Introduction and Allegro Spiritoso. By Jean-Baptiste Senaille, arranged by Philip Catelinet.

Suite for Unaccoumpanied Tuba by Walter Hartley. A very popular unaccompanied tuba solo.

Gregson Tuba Concerto. The great British composer Edward Gregson wrote this with a very different flavor. As performed by John Fletcher.

Halsey Stevens Sonatina. A nice, light work written for Hollywood studio performer Don Waldrop.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Basic Repertoire

The basic rep. list mentioned is very good I think I have eight of the nine pieces in my filing cabinet. The main tuba composer I would like to add to the list is Alec Wilder. His most popular tuba piece is the Effie Suite. however his Suite for Tuba, French Horn and Piano is fun to play. Another great piece by Wilder is his Brass Quintet #1. Each movement features a different instrument. The LA Brass Quintet recorded this piece and the NY Brass Quintet version is on the new Harvey Phillips Legacy CD. The Wilder catalog was sold to Shawnee Press (I think). This music is getting hard to buy a copy of so if you are interested, buy it while it is still available.