• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

What It Is Like to Play in a Military Band

Well said, Eupher6! It took me quite a few years before I began to appreciate why we did the pain-in-the-neck, not-so-musical jobs like ceremonies. I just tried to endure them and wait for the next concert. But at some point I began to listen to the speakers and tried to relate to all the people who worked to put the ceremony together. During my "aware" years I heard veterans from WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam talk about their experiences. Some of it was very, very eye-opening. We also did some ceremonies that were kind of cool in other ways, such as the kick-off for the Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty restorations, and the celebrations when they were done. Then we had the awards/recognition ceremonies for some of the dramatic things the Coast Guard folks were doing in deep, cold, nasty water to save lives - it was pretty stirring. It made the gigs a lot more interesting. They still weren't especially gratifying musically, but they filled some other needs human beings have. And there is always a lot to be said for really trying to play well during marches. Playing through a march is not terribly difficult, but playing it really well and correctly (style-wise) is very challenging and fun!

Yes, there is a good portion of stupidity or silliness in the government in general, but the military manages to do a tremendous job.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Piomarine
      • Jan 2010

I am currently serving as a Tubist in the Marine Forces Pacific Band stationed in Hawaii. The experience for me can basically be summed up as rewarding. Though I do not plan to make this my career, these four years are some of the most eye opening years of my life. My current possition could basically be described as low risk high yield, as right now i dont have any plans of getting deployed and everything that I will be getting out of this whole experience is worth ten times what I acctually put into it. While you do have to put up with the whole military aspect of things, there is still a huge emphassis on the music itself. In fact I would say that the largest part of the work is centered around the music with some minor emphasis on military training.

Comment

• MC
        • Jan 2006

I spent some time in the Army - specifically as Euphoniumist in the "Continental Army Band" (Headquarters, Continental Army Command) and the 266th Army Band (Headquarters US Army, Viet-Nam).

These weren't "Premiere Bands" by any stretch of the imagination, but as headquarters bands, they were ostensibly a cut above most of the other Army "line bands."

I can't say the experience was all negative. I made some great friends, got to play with some really cool toys and saw the world from a very unique position, to say the least. A good way for a kid to blow off a lot of steam!

Musically, however, I've got to say that my time as an Army *musician* was pretty much a bust. We were constantly reminded - and probably rightly so - that we were neither real musicians nor real soldiers.

Contrast that to a concert I once played some time later when I was in the Marine Band - the President's Own.

It was for the Commandant of the Marine Corps and a room full of his Generals. You've got to know, there's nothing much more intense than a room full of Marine Generals!

The concert was our standard fare: an overture, a couple heavy-weight symphonic transcriptions, and an operatic vocal, with a few marches as encores, ending of course, with the Marine's Hymn.

After the concert was over, the Commandant walked up to the front of the Band and faced his Generals.

Saying a few heartfelt words words about the history of the Band, he concluded by challenging his Generals in a tone that raised the hair on my neck:

"When YOU guys (meaning the Generals) can do your jobs as well as THESE men and women (meaning the musicians of the Marine Band), then YOU can call YOURSELVES Marines!"

That was followed by a standing ovation that went on forever!

OK ... one more story:

For as long as anyone can remember, the Marine Band has played a "surprise concert" on New Year's morning for the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

The Commandant would then invite the Band into his house where he would personally serve members of the Band a hot buttered rum, said to be the last remaining official "grog" that is dispensed by the Navy to this day.

Grog notwithstanding, the house was always full of senior Marines who were amazingly gracious to members of the Band.

A far cry from being told I was neither a soldier nor a musician!

Glenn Call
        Marine Band under Presidents Ford, Carter and Reagan

I always felt a tremendous feeling of musicianship whenever I played with the Marine Band, and have always felt a tremendous respect from every Marine I've met, then and to this day.

Comment

• carbogast
          • Mar 2006

Great stories! Thanks!
          Carroll Arbogast
          Piano Technician
          CMA Piano Care

Comment

Working...
          X