Thread: Hirsbrunner

Hirsbrunner

A very high quality euphonium is the Hirsbrunner. They are made in Switzerland by the same company that makes the fine tubas. Construction is great, and the horn has good intonation and tone and plenty of power.

You can find models with medium and large bells, and they have one called Stealth with a black finish - very sharp-looking!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hirsbrunner

A friend recently bought a new Hirsbrunner Exclusive, paying close to $7,000! I have played it a bit with my Wick 3Al and find it a very interesting horn. I would not call it a euphonium: it begs to be called a tenor tuba. The low range is incredible, very smooth and extraordinarily free blowing down through the compensating range to a pedal concert B flat, more like a tuba than a euphonium. It is also very smooth, with a pure sound, ascending up through concert middle C to the limits of my range. The horn has a BIG sound. But, for me, it did not sing like my Yamaha 842, especially in the octave above middle C. Some of that might well be my limitations, but I do think that every design is tweaked in certain ways, and the Hirsbrunner is aimed at producing a big sound, almost an orchestral small tuba sound, rather than be a soloist's instrument in the tradition of many other professional grade euphoniums.

3. Hirsbrunner

They look really Nice. If I ever get big on Euphonium Perfromance I want to try it.

Hirsbrunner

We play Hirsbrunner for a while now in the Dutch Airforce Band.
    Of course there are a lot of good horns available,it is also a matter of taste when you think of sound,and the variable of the player and the mouthpiece.
    It took me a while to get used to it and get into the soul of the instrument and get a sweet singing sound when needed.The combination with a 3AL Dennis Wick works,tried 2SM en 3M for a while to work things out.I tried all brands,Wilson TA 2900 and,Custum Yamaha where also very good indeed.Miraphone was hard to tune.The new instruments of Meinl fixed their tuning problems,it is interesting to see the developments as Besson instruments will be manufactured in there factory now.Heard great stories about the new Sterling which I have not tried.
    There´s enough to choose.