• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

BB-Flat Tubas

(Originally posted 5/4/1999 on previous Euphonium-Tuba Forum on this site

I am still a firm beliver in the BBb tuba for band work. I play a 6/4 size in the band and it gives the bottom needed. There are many fine BBb's try one in your band
    Joe L. Norcross
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium
  • TubaNerd4Life
    • Aug 2006

BB-Flat Tubas

With me about to start college, I still love to play BBb Tubas. I love the support they give at the low register. I believe that even if you play a BBb Tuba at the professional level, you can still sound just as good if you were to play on a CC Tuba or an F Tuba.

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
      • Feb 2006

BB-Flat Tubas

I used a CC Miraphone this year... good tuba, CC was a little hard to learn but it was either CC or the University's YBB 641.

Comment

• blueeuph
        • Feb 2006

BB-Flat Tubas

Dennis: I kinda wonder if that was a CC you were using when BU, Crocus Plains highschool and the Brandon Community Band did a joint concert last year. Yeah, it sounded good.

I like the yahama 4 piston valve tuba they have at Crocus Plains. I used it in a rehersal one time, filling in for the tuba player who was gone. Basically in that rehersal we went over the Thunderer and The Holst Second Suite in F which I alternated between my euph. and tuba. It played alright except the D, third line in the bass clef was miserable to center even using 12 and 3rd valve for alternate fingerings. I think it might be just a quirk in that tuba because it played well even in the low range. I was able to play a low F without any effort.

Personally, if I was going to get a tuba, I probally lean on getting a solid 4 valve compensating Eb instead of a Bb but that's a personal thing.

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
          • Feb 2006

BB-Flat Tubas

yeah, the Yammie 321's are pretty nice... I've been working on those all week for repairs, using a Bach 18 for play tests. One of the schools we did work for at the beginning of the summer had a BBb Besson Imperial 4v comp... too bad it was taking a beating in a band room...

Comment

• TheFlyinTuba
            • Nov 2006

BB-Flat Tubas

personally, I love BB-flat tubas... of course that's all i've played as far as tubas go. currently I am using a Yamaha 3/4 BB-flat tuba. it's beautiful, and it has good tone quality for a 3/4 size. i'm kind of dissapointed though because before i go to college i'm going to have to buy my own tuba...full size C... i'm gonna miss my Bflat... but i still have a year to go.

Comment

• TheFlyinTuba
              • Nov 2006

BB-Flat Tubas

almost forgot...that yamaha 3/4 is a four piston valve...the only four valve my school has. it's great and i love it. our other three tubas are also yamaha 3/4...but they're three piston valve. they're pretty beat up too... too many irresponsible tuba players...before my time of course.

Comment

• bearphonium
                • Jan 2007

BB-Flat Tubas

I bought a York Master 3/4 BBb, three valve in May. I have really enjoyed playing it, and think it is a keeper. I would like to get a 4/4, 4 valve horn (staying in BBb!) but I'd like to try both pistons and rotors. I haven't played a rotary valve tuba yet, but there are a couple out there that look like fun.

Comment

• Davidus1
                  • Jul 2008

BB-Flat Tubas

For a large tuba I love the giant Cerveny 693. It is a very big horn and really has a nice presence in a concert band. I also played in an orchestra for a season on a borrowed Meinl Weston Model #25 and it was a fantastic horn. I would have bought it had it been for sale.
                  John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                  Yamaha 354 Trombone
                  Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• tom10i
                    • Jun 2007

BB-Flat Tubas

Hi,

I recently bought a Miraphone 186 in BBb for playing in a community band in my hometown and could not be more pleased. It is just the ticket for band work, however, please read the last paragraph.

I tested out some of the Yamaha's in the store where I bought the used Miraphone and thought that the Miraphone blew much better than did the Yamaha tubas, one and all. That had to do with several things: what I felt was a quality to the tone (coloration and depth of tone) of the horn and the ability of the horn to produce what I felt was a more secure and better sounding tone from very soft through quite loud ranges of playing.

I do believe that BBb horns in bands are excellent instruments, but would note that many universities do require students to switch to the CC instruments to prepared them for the performance world beyond bands, as well they should. However, if one is primarily interested in playing for recreation or as a second instrument, as I do, my first instrument is euphonium and I play tuba as needed, then BBb is just fine in my opinion.

tom10i

Comment

• Davidus1
                      • Jul 2008

BB-Flat Tubas

I think unless your aspirations are to play in a symphony orchestra that switching to CC is only an option....not a necessity. I've played both CC and BBb and find that both play well and its a matter of preference. Just my opinion though................
                      John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                      Yamaha 354 Trombone
                      Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• jonesbrass
                        • Oct 2008

BB-Flat Tubas

Originally posted by: tom10iI do believe that BBb horns in bands are excellent instruments, but would note that many universities do require students to switch to the CC instruments to prepared them for the performance world beyond bands, as well they should. However, if one is primarily interested in playing for recreation or as a second instrument, as I do, my first instrument is euphonium and I play tuba as needed, then BBb is just fine in my opinion. tom10i
                        While many university tuba studios will "require" advanced players to "switch" to CC from BBb, I think the terminology "switch" is probably incorrect. From a psychological (and pay-related) perspective, it might be better to look at it as adding another keyed instrument to your arsenal. Many pros still make money in situations where CC isn't an option . . . the instrument is known as the sousaphone. They are almost always pitched in BBb. The fact is, pros are expected to play whatever the conductor (or whomever controls the paycheck) wants them to play. The requirement is far more than BBb or CC. You'll probably have times when you will also have to play the bass tubas in F or EEb.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant.

Comment

• ToddWhite
                          • Jan 2009

BB-Flat Tubas

I agree - for playing real band music, a good-sized BB-flat tuba is hard to beat.

That said, I can also state that a properly-designed and played BB-flat can perform VERY well in an orchestral environment, though the player either has to learn to transpose or re-write his parts.

Comment

• NSchrobilgen
                            • Mar 2009

BB-Flat to CC, is it necessary?

Sorry for sounding like a newbie, but ever since I've started playing the Tuba, i've had one question which I've never been able to find a answer for. If I want to go into university with the Tuba, do I have to switch to CC and what is difference? Are there different fingerings for it?

Nick

Comment

• bearphonium
                              • Jan 2007

BB-Flat to CC, is it necessary?

Nick,
                              It really depends on a lot of things; where you're going to school, what your major is, and who your teacher is. Yes, the fingerings are different; there are several fingering charts floating around, I just don't know the links for them.

This is one thing that a lot of tuba players confront when it comes time to buy that first real horn. Many people choose the C tuba route for a variety of reasons, mostly concerning what is "expected" as a tuba player advances into the world. There are other people on this site that are more knowledgeable than I on this topic (RichardRichard9 comes to mind as someone who recently went through this process, and ended up with a CC tuba, as I recall). Search some, send some PM's and have fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X