Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BB-Flat Tubas

BB-Flat Tubas

I think unless your aspirations are to play in a symphony orchestra that switching to CC is only an option....not a necessity. I've played both CC and BBb and find that both play well and its a matter of preference. Just my opinion though................
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

2. BB-Flat Tubas

Originally posted by: tom10iI do believe that BBb horns in bands are excellent instruments, but would note that many universities do require students to switch to the CC instruments to prepared them for the performance world beyond bands, as well they should. However, if one is primarily interested in playing for recreation or as a second instrument, as I do, my first instrument is euphonium and I play tuba as needed, then BBb is just fine in my opinion. tom10i
    While many university tuba studios will "require" advanced players to "switch" to CC from BBb, I think the terminology "switch" is probably incorrect. From a psychological (and pay-related) perspective, it might be better to look at it as adding another keyed instrument to your arsenal. Many pros still make money in situations where CC isn't an option . . . the instrument is known as the sousaphone. They are almost always pitched in BBb. The fact is, pros are expected to play whatever the conductor (or whomever controls the paycheck) wants them to play. The requirement is far more than BBb or CC. You'll probably have times when you will also have to play the bass tubas in F or EEb.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant.

3. BB-Flat Tubas

I agree - for playing real band music, a good-sized BB-flat tuba is hard to beat.

That said, I can also state that a properly-designed and played BB-flat can perform VERY well in an orchestral environment, though the player either has to learn to transpose or re-write his parts.

4. BB-Flat to CC, is it necessary?

Sorry for sounding like a newbie, but ever since I've started playing the Tuba, i've had one question which I've never been able to find a answer for. If I want to go into university with the Tuba, do I have to switch to CC and what is difference? Are there different fingerings for it?

Nick

5. BB-Flat to CC, is it necessary?

Nick,
    It really depends on a lot of things; where you're going to school, what your major is, and who your teacher is. Yes, the fingerings are different; there are several fingering charts floating around, I just don't know the links for them.

This is one thing that a lot of tuba players confront when it comes time to buy that first real horn. Many people choose the C tuba route for a variety of reasons, mostly concerning what is "expected" as a tuba player advances into the world. There are other people on this site that are more knowledgeable than I on this topic (RichardRichard9 comes to mind as someone who recently went through this process, and ended up with a CC tuba, as I recall). Search some, send some PM's and have fun!

BB-Flat Tubas

I am looking at a BBb Martin tuba for possible purchase. It has a 92xxx serial number. Is this the appropriate way to email a question to you about the age of the horn?

7. BB-Flat Tubas

I don't know if you've discovered Tubenet yet, k0mbn, but there are several folks there who might be able to help you. Search their archives first, then post the question. Rick Denney or Steve Fergeson might be able to help you there.

8. BB-Flat Tubas

This can get crazy. I started college as a music education major. I wanted to be a high school band director, or so I thought. I was going to have to learn a lot of other instruments. It didn't compute to my 18 yr old mind that I should have to relearn my own instrument as well. This became the deciding issue in switching majors to political science.

At 46, it's easy to look back and think I was being petty then. And there were many other issues in that School of Music that made it unpleasant, so it wasn't just this. But it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

So now I enjoy playing my Yamaha 103 (in small or standing groups) and my Miraphone 186 (for other occasions) both in BBb. I'm still blissfully ignorant of the CC tuba. I'm even happy in my day job, in which my tubas are seen as an eccentricty.

9. BB-Flat Tubas

I've had the itch to play B-flat again for several years. The two reasons I haven't are because I worry I won't get something as good as I have right now (I love my Rudy) and I don't want an argument with my future teacher/s because I'm not playing C.

I really have no plans to play in an orchestra, not that I'd turn it down if it was offered, but it's not really what I'm working for. I love wind bands and want to play in a brass band too, so I feel B-flat is a good fit for me.

10. BB-Flat Tubas

Please clue me in about this:

"That said, I can also state that a properly-designed and played BB-flat can perform VERY well in an orchestral environment, though the player either has to learn to transpose or re-write his parts."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast