Thread: EE-Flat Tubas

EE-Flat Tubas

(Originally posted 6/6/1999 by Roy Patchell on previous Euphonium-Tuba Forum on this site

I posted this message to the tuba-euph group and it generated an interesting discussion maybe someone will read this here and have an opinion:

"What is wrong with EEb tubas? There seems to be a prejudice against them in the music world in general. I cannot tell any real difference in tone or sonority between EEb and F tubas. Also, for converted trumpet players, the EEb has great advantages in that the bass clef can be read as treble clef (after adding three #'s to key signature). There seem to be many good modern EEb models available (e.g., Besson, Willson, Yamaha). And there seems to have been a great many EEb tubas produced in the past during the golden age of brass (and 3-valve models at that); this would strongly suggest that the EEb tubas have merit. Why does there now seem to be such prejudice against the EEb?"
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

EE-Flat Tubas

(Originally posted 6/7/1999 on previous Euphonium-Tuba Forum on this site

As has been posted on the TUBA discussion list, there is NO prejudice against EEb tubas in England. However, in the states it is more unusual to see an EEb being used by a professional tubist. I use an EEb myself and like it a lot. I play in a brass quintet and fine the sound a nice choice for that setting. Because I am primarily a euphonium player, I don't have a big enough sound to handle orchestra music on the EEb, but John Fletcher used one for his orchestra playing (unless he was doing Mahler or similar, when he would switch to a big German horn).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. EE-Flat Tubas

I am new to this site and don't usually post a great deal with any of the other sites, but I thought this was an interesting question. First let me offer some background. I have been a freelance tubist in the Dallas/Fort Worth area since 1978. Prior to that I did a 3 year hitch (1971-1974) in the Navy, first playing with the Navy Showband (no longer in existence) and then with the U. S. Naval Academy Band at Annapolis. During those years like most military players of that era, I played BBb tuba. After the service on returning to school my teacher convinced my that if I were going to play professionally I would need a CC tuba and I did as he suggested. The first higher keyed horn I bought after that was an Eb tuba. This was however a matter of economics not a choice between EEb or F. I played EEb then for a number of years until I finally felt that I should play the F tuba. Why make the switch? I felt that it was what a serious American player should do, basically peer pressure. I have now used the F (or more accurately several F's for a number of years) and loved them. Recently however, I just got a new Miraphone 1261 Ambassador EEb. This is a new model Miraphone compensating British style EEb. It is designed for the British Band market and it is WONDERFUL! I'm not at a point in my life were I am any longer worried about peer pressure and there are things about this tuba that I love more than any tuba I have ever owned. Is there a a U.S. prejudice against EEb tubas? Maybe, but I for one would love to see that change. I have long been a great admirer of the many great British players and I think that the EEb may at least be a part of their extraordinary virtuosity. I will still continue to use my F tuba for some things, but will definitely be using the EEb a lot!

Richard Murrow
    Tuba/Euphonium Texas Christian University
    Freelance Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

EE-Flat Tubas

I am also primarily a euphonium player that does some tuba playing. Having played BBb, CC and EEb in my quintet I really like EEb. I haven't played an F yet.

I am curious what people think of the St. Pete EEb. Also has anyone played the the new Miraphone "Norwegian Star"?

5. EE-Flat Tubas

After college /currently a band director, I played bass trombone in orchestral settings with a tad of tuba.
    At this point in my life, I'm playing tuba in community concert band and direct/play tuba in a brass quintet.
    I have a Miraphone 186 5 valve BBb tuba and a B & S PT22P EEb tuba ( I've had it for one year now).
    I love them both, but find myself now playing the EEb exclusively. The B & S EEb has a wonderful sound and cuts well when I need to.
    In the concert band, it really bridges between the bass trombone, euphonium, the EEb, and then the big BBbs. It brings a different quality, and adds another flavor to the sound.
    I had the 1291 Miraphone EEb (English compensating style) tuba. I wasn't happy with the intonation and ease of valve position 3 + 1 side. My B & S has 4 piston +1 rotor right thumb operated. It's just a lot more comfortable for me.
    If you want a EEb tuba, give this one a try.

6. EE-Flat Tubas

I played EEb, firstly a Boosey with a 19" bell,then a straight leadpipe Sovereign for many many years, but switched to F tuba about fifteen years ago. It's much harder work, the F tuba, particularly in the low register, but the middle and upper register tone is far better than the Eb, particularly for early 20C British music, French music, and solo repertoire. I mostly use the F in quintet as well, as my C is too big, although there are times it would be handy to have a small C tuba!
    The main thing about the F tuba is that it is very demanding - it needs constant practice to sound any good. You can't have a few days off!

John Fletcher did use a Sovereign straight leadpipe Eb, but his larger orchestral horn, for Mahler et al, as Dave says, was a Holton. You can see it very clearly in the Bernstein DVD of Mahler 2 with LSO. ( a superb performance by the whole ensemble, soloists, choir, orchestra and conductor, with lots of shots of the orchestra, and less of the conductor than usual!)
    Sue

EE-Flat Tubas

Hey follow Tuba-nators! Does anyone know if an Amati tuba Eb is worth buying? It's about a thousand . Thanks agian and let the tuba be with you.
    p.s. tubas rock