• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Besson / Boosey & Hawkes

This comment was posted to an older discussion list by Steven Mead. He describes the differences between the Sovereign euphonium line and the Prestige euphonium line.

Here are the differences to the current Besson Sovereign euphoniums on the market (which incidentally will continue to be produced. The Prestige range is a new top of the range adtion to the Besson line)

Design Features
    Two new models (insert model numbers here!!) both with new bell sizes (12.25inch and 11.5 inch)
    New material use for bell wire for added resonance
    The famous tuning slide trigger with new protective shield
    Longer tuning slide for increased flexibility of pitch range and trigger use
    Original large bore Sovereign leadpipe, with single fixing stud and new stay for the classic sound and resonance
    Innovative new gold plating features: trigger, valve button tops , bottoms and valve caps.
    New slightly heavier mouthpipe receiver
    New shaped false piece for right hand

Improved valve features:
    New tough glassed-filled nylon valve guides,
    New modern design valve screw top stops
    Valve screw tops inlaid with black felt
    New black onyx inlaid button tops
    Original Besson euphonium valve springs
    Slightly heavier valve screw bottoms

Increased durability/protection on back branch
    New silver plating process, up to 60% more depth of plate than in previous years
    New luxury case design
    Supplied with new SM 3.5 and SM4 mouthpiece
    New accessory kit

Playing Characteristics
    A full rich tone throughout its huge range, with superb air flow characterstics
    The highest notes have a new richer sound
    The famous colour of the Besson tone in abundance with an increased ease of operation and smoothness
    Perfect tuning achievable using the famous Besson tuning slide trigger, no more sharp F's, G's, guaranteed !
    Massive pedal tone range
    The valves will go as fast as you can ! And silently.
    The air travels through the tubing in a more controlled way, by design.
    More tonal centre and stability.

One instrument is currently being shown at the music trade shown in New York this week, the other will be in Italy, with me, from thursday, in Bolzano 28-31 Jan, Rome 1st Feb., Messina, Sicily, 2nd Feb. Email me privately if you can make it !

Sadly there won't be one at the Army Band event at Fort Myer, but talk to Pat Sheridan at the Boosey stand who was with me in Holland/Belgium last weekend.

It will be starring in the B&H web site very soon with photos etc and we're thinking of creating some sound files too, to demonstrate if possible, tonal differences between the two new models.

Sorry if this message has been too long but folks have been asking for info. Flame me if you like..I can take it !!!
    Best wishes to all

Steven Mead
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Besson / Boosey & Hawkes Bought by Buffet

Many brass players are aware that Besson has been struggling financially and was put up for sale. Their future appears more positive than it did yesterday. In the early 1980's Boosey & Hawkes (Besson) bought Buffet. Now the circle is complete as Buffet has bought Besson brass. Here is the announcement from the Buffet website (Buffet Press Release):

[start of Buffet press release]
    BUFFET CRAMPON Group acquires BESSON Musical Instruments Limited

Mantes-la-Ville - 16th January 2006 - Today, the Buffet Crampon Group completed the acquisition of the brand and certain assets of the brass musical instruments company, Besson Musical Instruments Limited, from its Administrators.

Over the coming months, Buffet Crampon will set up new manufacturing facilities to produce Besson brass instruments of high quality whilst maintaining the traditional concept and sound of Besson instruments.

Paul Baronnat, President of the Buffet Crampon Group, looks forward to the future with confidence and says: "We are delighted to welcome the Besson brand into the group. The strong links and benefits of cooperation built over the last 20 years between the two brands will continue."

As part of the acquisition agreement, Buffet Crampon acquires the existing finished goods inventory of Besson and this will be used temporarily to fulfil any customer orders over the coming months. After about 8 months, Buffet Crampon will be able to satisfy anticipated demand for Besson instruments.

[end of Buffet press release]
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• EuphoniWhat
      • Jan 2006

Besson / Boosey & Hawkes Bought by Buffet

I am very happy to hear that. I play on a Besson Prestige, and I was very worried if I would be able to find replacement parts in the future. Not to mention all the people that could/would have lost thier jobs making the instruments.

Comment

• tayloreuph
        • Feb 2006

Besson / Boosey & Hawkes

Besson is an interesting brand, in that it has the longest track record of any horn on the market.
        The Imperial version produces the traditional sound that most instructors equate to Euphonium sound. I've heard it described this way, "A real euphonium sound, not a tenor tuba sound".
        The Soverign design went through a few bad years, but the current configuration is a really good playing horn, along the lines tonally as the Prestige.
        The Prestige is the Rolls-Royce of the euphonium world. With the gold trim and tuning trigger, it's a nice horn, with more weight. At extreme volume, the horn won't break up.

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

RE: Besson / Boosey & Hawkes Bought by Buffet

I recently heard from the owner of Sterling, who was formerly the production manager of Boosey & Hawkes. He said that all the employees have been let go, and that Buffet did NOT buy the tooling for the Besson instruments. When Buffet begins to produce Besson euphoniums, he wonders if they may be a hybrid of Besson and Courtois.

It will be interesting to watch.

In the meantime, if you are looking for a new Besson, I'd suggest trying a Sterling instead. (See the Sterling category in this forum)
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• kayak
            • Aug 2006

Besson / Boosey & Hawkes

Can someone please tell me where to find replacement valve guides for a Besson 7065 Euphonium? Every Besson Dealer I have contacted said Besson is not supplying any repair parts due to the sale.

Thanks very much
            Kevin Cooke

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Besson / Boosey & Hawkes

Kevin,

Please see this post:

Where to Shop/Buy

It might help you find a source for valve guides.
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• kayak
                • Aug 2006

Besson / Boosey & Hawkes

Dave thanks very much. I checked out Windcrafts web page and it appears that they have guides for the Besson 765 which was the model that preceded the 7065. I will talk to them and see if this will work

Kevin Cooke

Comment

Working...
                X