View RSS Feed

davewerden

How and Why to Use the Adams Adjustable Gap Receiver (AGR)

Rate this Entry
I put together a video explaining the need for an AGR and also how to use it. Following that I'll post some photos to further illustrate the concept(s).

One bit of perspective first. As far as I know. ALL receivers will cause a gap between the end of the mouthpiece shank and the start of the leadpipe (hidden inside the larger receiver). If the insertion depth of your mouthpiece creates a good gap on the horn you use, then the AGR doesn't matter. But keep in mind that different mouthpiece brands have a different insertion depth (the amount of shank that disappears into the receiver), which changes the gap. If you try a new mouthpiece and don't like it, the new gap may be the problem. Then the AGR does matter.

First is a photo of my calipers showing the distance from the end of the shank to the insertion mark on the mouthpiece. That is what I refer to above as "insertion depth."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AGR Caliper Shank Insertion Mark.jpg 
Views:	1258 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	8726

Then I put a thin wooden rod in the receiver until it hit the end of the actual leadpipe, at which point I marked it with tape.

Name:	AGR Stick Tape in Receiver.jpg 
Views:	1541 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	8727

Here is my calipers showing the distance I just demonstrated on the stick.

Name:	AGR Stick Caliper Show Depth.jpg 
Views:	1486 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	8728

Now to show you how large the gap actually is. I took the original insertion depth reading and overlaid the stick & tape. If you subtract the measurements of the insertion depth from the distance to the leadpipe, you see this setting creates a gap of 3.33mm. (Keep in mind these are a bit "finger in the wind" measurements.)

Name:	AGR Stick Gap Overlay.jpg 
Views:	1367 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	8729

I hope this helps give perspective on what the AGR is about. For another look at this, see my previous blog post:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...e-Gap-Receiver

Updated 11-21-2021 at 06:35 PM by davewerden

Categories
Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Instruments and Equipment

Comments