View RSS Feed

davewerden

New CD from Bente Illevold

Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bente.jpg 
Views:	26095 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	7721Bente Illevold may be a new name to some of you, but if so it won't be new for long. She is a very fine, musical euphonium player from Norway. I got her new CD recently and I want to give my impressions.

“Klangen fra de dype skoger” (Sounds from the deep forests) is the result of her efforts to honor her homeland in music. She has challenged five composers to help in this task, and the CD contains some of the works that resulted. The composers here are Rune Rebne, Ludvig Elblaus and Bjørn Kruse. The complete track listing is below, but the material is drawn from folk music.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LWC1195_Bente_Illevold_Klangen_fra_de_dype_skoger_cover_3000x3000px-1536x1536.jpg 
Views:	33657 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	7720Even if you are not familiar with the folk music that is the basis for the songs, which was true for me, the listening experience is remarkable! The writing requires a performer with plenty of technique, and Bente digs in with aplomb and love for the music! As I have written before, we work on technique so that hard passages don't get in the way of our playing, and similarly so that our playing does not get in the way of the music. Expression should come from our heart and head, regardless of the difficulty level of the printed page. Bente proves that point. She sails/dances through these pieces with a lovely tone at all times and with just the right expression (for my taste anyway), regardless of the twists and turns of the phrases. Her smoothness combined with her lovely tone make a compelling combination. These melodies may not be familiar to you, so you may not leave your listening session whistling the tunes, but you may very well feel like whistling.

Amazon has it for your convenience, either as a CD or as MP3 files. The CD has some nice liner notes, which you might enjoy if you go that route.
https://www.amazon.com/Klangen-Dype-.../dp/B0851LL455

Complete track list:

1: DSDHT for Euphonium and Fixed Media (2015/2016) Part I
2: DSDHT for Euphonium and Fixed Media (2015/2016) Part II
3: DSDHT for Euphonium and Fixed Media (2015/2016) Part III
4: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 1
5: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 2
6: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 3
7: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 4
8: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 5
9: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 6
10: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 7
11: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 8
12: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 9
13: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 10
14: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 11
15: Bom-bombardino for Euphonium and Percussion (2016) Part 12

FROM THE PUBLISHER:

About the album
"Klangen fra de dype skoger" (Sounds from the deep forests) is the sound of a human being who does not separate their identity from their music. It is a sound rooted in a simple upbringing with good values, in a society where time stands still…where, as a child, one can be one with nature and culture hour after hour – completely undisturbed.

Sounds from the deep forests is the sound of a divided human being, in the face of academic norms and demands, whose natural and spontaneous musicality drowns in the correct and restrained expression of the classical world.

Sounds from the deep forests is the sound of a human being rising again, where creativity, will, and faith win in the end, where identity and music are one, while the trivial instrumental barriers are breached and the boundaries only face resistance in their own boldness.

Sounds from the deep forests is musician Bente Illevold’s idea of expressing her own life, rooted in tradition, identity, and artistic innovation. Five composers have been challenged to channel the natural beauty and musical traditions of Rendalen, together with the seemingly mellow and measured character traits of Østerdalen, through new compositions for euphonium. The project contains, as of 2019, seven works, where the two largest are preserved on this recording.

Updated 06-01-2020 at 08:50 AM by davewerden

Categories
Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog

Comments