View RSS Feed

davewerden

Capriccio di Niccolo by Frank Proto - Euphonium Solo with Piano or Orchestra

Rate this Entry
I'm very excited about this piece! It was originally written for Doc Severinsen (trumpet) and is a theme and variations based on Paganini's Caprice No. 24. The composer is Frank Proto. I communicated with Mr. Proto and convinced him to re-write the piece in a unique version for euphonium. It is available with piano or orchestra accompaniment. The latter version required the most work, because an orchestra that balances Doc Severinsen will bury a euphonium! It is important to note that Mr. Proto did this work for no fee - he was enthused about the possibilities on euphonium and just went ahead and created the new version. I premiered this euphonium/piano version in March 2015 at the University of Iowa.

The other reason I am excited is that this piece fits perfectly my mission to give euphoniumists new challenges that stretch their musical style. The first such piece was probably the Claude Smith Rondo for Trumpet (also written for Doc). After I recorded that with the Coast Guard Band, several other euphoniumists tackled the piece, including Steven Mead, Raymond G. Young, and Ann Hinote (USAF Band). I wrote my arrangement of the Arpeggione Sonata by Schubert for similar reasons. And now with the Capriccio we have a piece that can be used in recital or with orchestra!

There are several optional cuts included in the music and several ossia sections. Also, if you don't have a good high F for the ending, here is an alternate ending that I recorded to help scare folks less! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp5xoxxo8YA

I encourage ambitious players to purchase the piano version (trumpet for treble and euphonium for bass). It's a bit of work, but I think you will enjoy the different flavor as you work on it, and your audience will like as well if you decide to perform it!

Sheet Music:
http://www.liben.com/capriccioniccoloeuph.html

Updated 08-19-2015 at 06:26 PM by davewerden

Categories
Euphonium-Tuba Blog , Videos , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog

Comments

Very nice. I am familiar with the Paganini violin original on which the Capriccio is based, as it's one of the compulsory pieces played in the International Violin Competition of Indianapolis. I was unfamiliar with this version, but you make it sound like it was original for euphonium. Thanks.
    What you describe as a "stretch" for you would be a 2X4 to the forehead for me. WOW... well played!