View RSS Feed

davewerden

Morning Song by Roger Kellaway - New Video

Rate this Entry
This is from my recital in March, 2015, at the University of Iowa. Morning Song was written for tuba virtuoso Roger Bobo and recorded by him a few decades ago. (The original LP has been remade into a CD, so you can hear Bobo play it here: Roger Bobo, tuba, playing Morning Song)

I fell in love with the piece when I first heard it. Later, when I saw the sheet music, I saw that is was right in the prime euphonium range and set very high for the average tubist (it goes a step higher than Bydlo, for example). Kellaway performed with our Band and I asked him about that - he was all for a euphonium playing it.

Below is my latest rendition. This is played on a loaner Adams Custom euphonium that I was using while mine is in Holland to replicate its custom geometry. I broke a hard-fast rule of mine and did the recital on a horn that I had only had for about 2 weeks!

Sorry about any banner ads that might show up, but supposedly YouTube uses them for royalties to music publishers. You can just click the X on the banner to get rid of it.

David Werden, euphonium - Morning Song, by Roger Kellaway:

Comments