View RSS Feed

davewerden

Bydlo from Pictures at an Exhibition - Video and Sheet Music

Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
On a recent recital at the University of Iowa I performed Bydlo, from Pictures at an Exhibition. In the orchestral version (orchestrated by Ravel) this solo part is played on either tuba or euphonium. It was probably first played on a high-C French tuba (a step above the Bb euphonium), so among common instruments today the euphonium is a very logical choice to play it.

Much as I did with my arrangement of the March from Holst's Second Suite, I have arranged Bydlo for euphonium and piano so we all have a chance to play it more often! The arrangement is available now from Cimarron, and the price is reduced until May 1 from $17 to $12:
http://www.cimarronmusic.com/search.cfm?ID=2483

Here is the video of my performance of this arrangement:

Comments

Very, very nice! Confident, relaxed, always secure and never forced, can imagine the ox lumbering along with his cart. The arrangement is the next best thing to an orchestra allowing more to either enjoy, master or both this piece.
    I really like that arrangement. Really sounds great! I've played this solo part unaccompanied many times, but it would be nice to have a piano accomp too. I just ordered it today. Thanks. RickF
    Thanks, guys! The piano part was taken from Mussorgsky's original (before Ravel orchestrated it) so it's pretty authentic, and it's a very powerful part.