View RSS Feed

davewerden

Euphonium Video - Alone Yet Not Alone - Played by Dave Werden

Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Here is a very lovely song (almost a contemporary American hymn) from the movie by the same name. It is a new movie made by a tiny Christian production company, so it is doubtful that most of you would have seen the movie. The composer is Bruce Broughton (Academy Award winning composer of Silverado and many other soundtracks).

This video is from a church service offertory, so you will hear some background noises. On piano is Sara Brunk. During the service we projected the words on our screen (you can see the organist in the background looking toward the screen to follow along). My thought was that this helped the congregation understand the meaning of the song. Lyrics are included in the link below (where you can purchase the sheet music).

There is a downloadable vocal performance of this available here (original soundtrack version, as sung by evangelist Joni Eareckson Tada):
Alone Yet Not Alone - Recording of Joni Eareckson Tada

And here is the link to buy the sheet music (for the same key I used, choose E):
http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/alon...e-p440134.aspx

The recording was made with a Canon digital camcorder, an Audio-Technica AT-825 stereo microphone, and a portable digital audio recorder (Zoom 4-Channel Digital Recorder).

Copyright information:
Copyright 2013 Brubel Music (ASCAP) and Spiegel's Words (BMI)

The particular arrangement I played from has this copyright information:
Copyright 2014 Brubel Music (ASCAP) and Spiegel's Words (BMI)

Comments

David: Beautiful performance. I was looking at your fingering and it didn't look like the key of E to me--and my iPad tuner app said the last note was an F. Was the key of E you mentioned a typo, or is there something I'm not understanding? Thanks.
    Nice job, Dave.

dsurkin: there's a modulation to F at 2:40ish.
    That's a gorgeous piece. Nice job David.

After listening to the vocal by Jodi Earkeson Tada I'm going to make sure I see that movie. Looks like it comes out in June this year.
    I was kind of wondering why you chose key of 'E', but then watched/heard it go up a 1/2 step, then it made sense to me. I'm going to order that piece for sure.

Thanks for sharing.
    It starts in concert E, which is F# for treble clef euphonium. I had to transpose up a step. Then at the end of the longer piano interlude it modulates to F concert.
    Of course it's a nice composition! It was written by a former euphonium player (and Salvationist)! I believe Adam Frey is working on a commission from Broughton for a serious euphonium work this year. Lookin' forward to that one for sure!

Here is a link to learn more about the commission:
    http://www.euphonium.com/store/broug...embership.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner
    Nice job, Dave.

dsurkin: there's a modulation to F at 2:40ish.
    Gee, that'll teach me to listen with half an ear while I'm at work!