View RSS Feed

davewerden

Dave Werden Video: Old Man River, Euphonium and Piano

Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
I have always thought that "Old Man River" (from the Broadway show and movie "Show Boat") makes a fine euphonium solo. When we played a special arrangement with the Coast Guard Band, the arranger wisely thought to let the euphonium state the first instance of the main theme. And of course in the show it is sung by a rich, low male voice.

While I was with the CG Band it was my good fortune to be part of the accompaniment for a guest vocalist, William Warfield. He had sung the song in the 1951 movie version of Show Boat, and did that as one of his pieces with the Band. It was inspiring.

I recently got the music out again and did it as a euphonium solo with piano (Sara Brunk on piano) at my church. If you want to try it yourself, here is your chance:

Sheet Music for Old Man River

Here is the video:

Comments

As I prep for my Community Band's spring season and my solo in Adam Frey's arrangement of Nessun Dorma I am reminded that these slower less technically demanding pieces are often more treacherous re intonation and phrasing. Beautiful, enjoyed this very much! What a fortunate arrangement for you and for your church and congregation
    Very nice Dave! Beautiful sound. Enjoyed it very much.