View RSS Feed

davewerden

More on Playing in Church - New Video

Rate this Entry
Here is a new video of me playing euphonium for a recent church service, with Sara Brunk, piano. This piece was the offertory: "You Raise Me Up" - words and music by Brendan Graham and Rolf Lovland.

I have to confess that I came across this song accidentally. I heard the Irish Tenors (probably during PBS fund-raising) in concert, and Ronan Tynan sing a piece called "Grace." I was struck by the melody and wanted the music. The only way I could purchase it was within a book of Ronan Tynan Favorites, so I did. I played Grace in a church service about 6 years ago. (Here is a link to the YouTube recording of Grace.)

As was reading through some other songs in the book I discovered "You Raise Me Up" and thought it would make a nice instrumental. Only after I played it in church did I learn that apparently I was about the only person in the congregation who did not previously know this tune! I think I got more compliments on this than any other time I've played in church, and most of it was more along the lines of "That's one of my favorite songs!"

In a previous blog/video post about playing in church I demonstrated a very non-technically-demanding piece that I found to be a good choice for church. Now in this new post I am showing a piece that is only a little harder technically. There are no fast notes to worry about, no multiple tonguing, and no long jumps. The range goes higher, to a high A concert - one time. But otherwise the only challenges you face here are leveraging your musical skills. And that is a life-long learning experience, so you can dig in when you are young and then dig in when you are more wizened. The congregation will probably enjoy you at both stages.

You can purchase the sheet music for immediate download here:
You Raise Me Up - Sheet Music

Comments

Very nice Dave! I appreciate you sharing. Your accompanist does a great job on these solos. In my area piano players are slowly becoming more scarce. Not a good trend!
    I really want to play this piece in church also, but I don't play treble clef. Do you know where I could find the same arrangement in bass clef? Thanks