View RSS Feed

davewerden

False Tones in the Low Register

Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average.
We all know how brass instruments work, right? Without using any valves, our instruments are like a Boy Scout bugle - there are a bunch of relatively fixed notes available over the range of the horn (the partial series). We can bend each one a little flatter or sharper to match pitch with other players on the same note, but most of us can't bend as much as a half step dependably.

While I was in high school I discovered an exception to that limitation. I learned that I could start on a pedal Bb and lip it up a full 3rd (or a 4th on a good day). It was approximately as smooth as a slide trombone's gliss, but it was a little hard to control.

Because the upper range of this "gliss zone" is about a D concert, and because that is a fairly firm ceiling, I find it workable to get a chromatic scale down from the pushed-up D by using the same fingerings I would use two octaves higher (0, 2, 1, 12). Or if you can push the top of the false tones up to Eb, then play the D with 2nd, and continue down with 1, 12, and 23.

Back in high school I got to be pretty good at producing these pitches. However, I would not say I had perfected the technique, and I certainly would not have wanted to use them in a solo.

Many years later I heard this technique demonstrated by a professional. During some of my Coast Guard Band years I played trombone in our jazz ensemble. For one concert we had as our guest artist the great studio/jazz trombonist Bill Watrous. I always knew he had a terrific lyrical style, terrific ad-libbing abilities and technique, and a very terrific high register. But during one of his cadenzas he showed me a slightly different side of his playing. He was somewhere up in the stratosphere and then did a diatonic scale down to a pedal Eb. This was on a "straight" trombone (no F attachment) so he had to cover the no-mans-land between low E and pedal Bb using false tones. The thing was, though, it didn't sound like he was using false tones. He just played a scale, and it sounded fine.

Try it yourself. Play the pedal Bb, let your tone close (pinch) a little, and try to move the pitch up. It seems to be easier on a small-bore euphonium than a large-bore horn, but I can still get the effect on my Adams with a .592" bore. I haven't tried it on tuba, but I assume it is about as easy to do.

I have not figured out a good use for this skill on a 4-valve instrument, but I think working on this can contribute to flexibility in general, and may make one more comfortable lipping down the dreaded low B-natural (concert, played with 1234). Of course, on a 3-valve instrument it can be useful. And tuba players tell me it is absolutely essential on a 3-valve EEb tuba.

Also, I believe the technique works differently on trombone. At least today, at this point in my non-trombone-inclusive practice habits, I can't push the pedal Bb up. If I remember correctly from my earlier days, one needs to lip downward from the general area of Low F/E. But if your experience has been different, please comment.

If you just decided to try this technique (or have in the past) please post a comment about it.

Submit "False Tones in the Low Register" to Digg Submit "False Tones in the Low Register" to del.icio.us Submit "False Tones in the Low Register" to StumbleUpon Submit "False Tones in the Low Register" to Google

Comments

Hi Dave. I'm a college player on my Willson 2900. On the request of my professor who said I needed to "beef up" my lower register I started to work at it hard and heavy. The farthest I have succeeded is a pedal D (played 1,2,4) in the open position. Not as a gliss but as an actual tone. I can bend the pitch to a C or even a sharp B natural on the best day. I recall Harold Brasch writing in his book that there were no tones past the open pedal Bb. I wonder if he neglected false tones as extensions.
    Hi Dave, I am a middle school player on a Andreas Eastman non-compensating 3 valve baritone. I just tried this and found i could do it with ease. I have also been able to go down to a pedal G. I dont know how to get a pedal E flat though. Is it just lipping up? If not can you give me the fingering for it?
    Baritonist,
    It's hard to suggest a fingering. When you're dealing with false tone, things are kind of, um, false! Because I have a 4-valve compensating horn, my first false tone would be a B-flat below my pedal B (that would be the lowest B-flat on the piano). I've used it in recital now and then, but I find that the fingering can be open, 2nd, or 1st, depending on the state of my chops, temperature of the hall, and even what mouthpiece I use. So just experiment and see what works! And don't be afraid to try a different fingering if your original choice doesn't seem to work as well after a time.
    It is very strange. I have been trying to get this note for awhile, and I still cannot get it. I can play any other note in the pedal scale though.
    Hi Dave, I used to bring out the Low D concert with false tones and - using 1-2 during this - the Low B natural on my YEP-321. It was the only chance to play Low B natural on this Euph. It sounded a little bit weaker than the "standard" tones.