View RSS Feed

davewerden

New Sousa Arrangement for Solo Euphonium

Rate this Entry
Most of us know John Philip Sousa as America's March King, and rightly so! But Sousa also wrote many other works. When I was in the Coast Guard Band we would occasionally perform one of his suites. There were typically enjoyable and sometimes had themes that were familiar from his marches.

I recently discovered a reverie that Sousa wrote called Nymphalin. It has a pretty melody, and it struck me that it would work well in a recital or perhaps in a worship service. I arranged it and just published it with Cimarron Music. Because it seemed a bit busy in its original form to use in a church service, I created two versions (which are published together). One is simplified a bit harmonically and with only a light cadenza, and would be suitable for a worship setting. The other is true to Sousa's original, and has the composer's more extended cadenza and somewhat more complex harmonies in places.

Think how surprised your audience (or congregation) will be to hear a slow melody where it says "John Philip Sousa" in the program!

Available here:

Nymphalin Reverie, by John Philip Sousa, arranged by David Werden

Comments