It's pet peeve time! I have played a lot of band music and some orchestra music where the rehearsal numbers are placed every 10 bars. That's logical in one way and it is certainly easy for computers to support, but it does not look right to musicians. That type of system means that many natural phrase points and theme changes occur in the middle of a span of rests.

I used to copy music by hand and even took a course from a music calligraphy expert. In later years I started using a computer to do my typesetting. In either format, it was no particular problem to make the rehearsal numbers appear at musically logical points. This will always be more intuitive for musicians and is less likely to result in mis-counting.

Whether you use large letters at each point ( A - B - C ...) or use a large bar number, like [9], [37], etc., you can also have small measure numbers at the beginning of each line of music. So how about if we all try to do something like that ourselves and encourage composers/arranges to do the same?