View RSS Feed

davewerden

Moving Records and Tapes to CD or MP3

Rate this Entry
I have a ton of older recordings that are on LP records or cassette tapes. Often I need to convert some of them to digital format for sharing on the web or to make a CD. There are a few ways to do this.

My favorite new way is to use the Edirol Portable Digital Recorder, mentioned in a previous post. It is very simple to hook up the recorder to my stereo's line output. Then I just record on the Edirol. When done, I can easily transfer the file to my computer with a USB cable or by plugging in the recorder's SD card to the SD slot on my laptop computer. Then I can use a free program like Audacity to split a recording of one side of an LP into individual tracks or do other touch-up editing before burning to CD or converting to MP3.

If you don't need to buy a portable recorder, there are cheaper ways to convert the analog stereo signal into a digital signal your computer can accept. I previously used a fine product called INPort, which has a stereo line-out to USB port, and also comes with software to split tracks and edit out LP noise.

Either way, it's a little bit of work, but I'm finding it very gratifying to have my old recordings available on portable devices like the iPod or other MP3 players.

Submit "Moving Records and Tapes to CD or MP3" to Digg Submit "Moving Records and Tapes to CD or MP3" to del.icio.us Submit "Moving Records and Tapes to CD or MP3" to StumbleUpon Submit "Moving Records and Tapes to CD or MP3" to Google

Comments