View RSS Feed

davewerden

Dealing with a Dry Mouth During Performances

Rate this Entry
This is a reprint from an answer I posted on the Euphonium-Tuba Forum. I think it is a common-enough problem that I am also going to post it here.

What you're experiencing is quite normal. Each person's body works differently, but when you get charged up about playing, which is at its peak before the performance, everything gets a little wacky. That energy is pent up, and then you go out to play and your body has to adjust. Suddenly you are taking in large quantities of air quickly, blowing out for many seconds in a row, and doing other things that the body is not really geared for.

If it's any consolation, this exact thing happened to me last month when I played my recital at the International Euphonium Institute. While I always feel the effects to some extent, I was not able to manage it effectively that time. So what was the difference? Why did that performance cause me more trouble?

In this case, I think the reason is that my pacing before the performance was not good. The warm-up rooms were all in use, so I had to go far from the hall to find a usable room. Then, about 10 minutes before the performance, I realized I had left something in the warm-up room and had to go back for it. So instead of spending that time relaxing and mentally preparing, I was running around. For me at least, the pre-performance time is important, and there is a certain routine that I usually follow.

But let's get on to specific advice. First, I would not worry about having water on stage if you need it. I usually do. I should be on a music stand or very small table near the back of the piano, and it looks more professional if you have a nice glass instead of a plastic water bottle. I do this. I have seen Steve Mead use a glass of water on stage. The Childs Brothers used to keep a small sponge secured to the rear of their horns. They would soak the sponge before the recital. If they felt dry, they just took a sip off the sponge. On the other hand many players do not carry water on stage. If you can get by without it, great. If not, bring it out there.

In any case, you need to prepare your body and mind before stepping out on stage. Watch what you eat for your last meal before the recital. I find it works best if I avoid spicy foods and caffeine, avoid very acidic foods or drinks, and do not drink milk then. DO drink plenty of water during at least the hour before the recital (which means you want to be sure to visit the little euphoniumists' room before you start to play!). You need to hydrate your tissues, and you can't do that with just a big drink before you play.

Before you go out, be sure to allow time to relax your mind. Perhaps mentally play though the first piece, or part of it. As you do this, focus not on the technical demands, but rather think about the music itself. Think about how you want it to sound. You might imagine how the best player you've ever would play it. Focus on the power and/or beauty of the music. Also, find some time to do some slow breathing. And pretend you are relaxed - that can have an effect on your actual relaxation.

If you start to get dry, chew on the inside of your cheek or on your tongue during the rests. That will stimulate your saliva (just don't chew so hard that you stimulate your tear ducts!!). This trick only works if your body actually has enough water available, so if you haven't been drinking a lot beforehand, ...

Most people need to deal with nerves when they perform. Harold Brasch had the best advice about this, which I will paraphrase. Practice your music until you think it's ready. Then practice until you are sure it's ready. Then keep practicing it until you know it so well that you could play any phrase in the music on demand with confidence and musicality for anyone who asks. If you are that confident, you are less likely to be nervous.

The thread this came from is found here:

Dry Mouth

Comments