The 10th article by Arthur Lehman about Harold Brasch is now online. Arthur shares more of his memories of the great player and teacher.

Here is an excerpt:

...Harold may be gone - in fact he was been gone for over 22 years - but his fame remains. He is famous because he was one of the very best of all euphonium players. He was the first to use the four valve compensating English euphonium since the turn of the century (from the late 1800's to the very early 1900's) and he was instrumental in having this type of euphonium become the only euphonium used by the top professionals of the entire world. He started using this instrument in late 1946. Within twenty years the use of this instrument was universal. Even ten years after he reintroduced this horn to the public, most of the world's best euphonium players were using the four-valve compensating instrument which he was so happy to be playing ten years earlier.

Harold was a true pioneer. He will be remembered as long as there are any euphonium players at all. I always have considered him to be my best teacher and I am so happy that I was able to study with him for nine years, to play with him for another nine years in the National Concert Band, and to be his friend for thirty-eight years. Being the same age, just about, he and I grew old together. The problem was that he died too young. I would have preferred that he live until he reached 100 years of age. But fate intervened. Sixty-eight was all he could manage. He did manage that very well, in my opinion.

Read the whole article here:

Mr. Euphonium: Harold Brasch Remembered, part 10 (by Arthur Lehman)

See more of Arthur Lehman's writings here:

Arthur Lehman Euphonium Articles