The 9th article by Arthur Lehman about Harold Brasch is now online. Arthur shares more of his memories of the great player and teacher.

Here is an excerpt:

...For a few years Harold Brasch had been talking about writing a new book about the 4-valve brasses in general and about the 4-valve compensating euphonium in particular. He felt strongly that there was a lack of information, studies, exercises designed especially for the 4-valve euphonium players who were using instruments with compensating pistons. I felt the same way. There was room for a good book on the subject and I hoped that someone would one day write such a book. I would surely buy one, I knew that.

One evening Harold called me on the telephone. This would be in 1970. I was still playing in the U.S. Marine Band. He said that he had finally finished the manuscript of "his book". Now it was ready for proof reading. Could I help him? He explained that he wanted to bring the manuscript over and have me proof read it completely through. I was to read all of the typed matter and to play through all of the notes. That meant playing through all of the exercises, the examples, everything. Sure, I would do that for him.

Read the whole article here:

Mr. Euphonium: Harold Brasch Remembered, part 9 (by Arthur Lehman)

See more of Arthur Lehman's writings here:

Arthur Lehman Euphonium Articles