View RSS Feed

Harold Brasch Remembered, part 2

Rate this Entry
The second part of Arthur's Lehman's article about euphoniumist Harold Brasch is now online. Here is an excerpt:

When I finally did become a member of the u.s. marine band, and I started taking lessons from Harold Brasch, not once a month as I had during the summer of 1946, but once a week, then my skills really blossomed. But it wasn't without a lot of hard work. Harold had to help me eliminate several faults in my playing as well as in facial contortions while playing some particular things such as octaves. I really spent a lot of time  hours in front of a mirror until finally I got rid of those lousy contortions. But, whatever the problem, Harold had the solution immediately. While it could take me a long time to affect a permanent cure, it took him only a few seconds to identify each fault and to suggest a way to eliminate it. His suggestions never failed to work well in eliminating whatever bad thing I had to contend with.

While it took Harold but a few seconds to identify and explain a fault, it took me a long time occasionally to correct it. While I was working to eliminate the fault, Harold was giving me certain exercises out of Arban's which I needed to drill on to strengthen the positive and to weaken the negative of the countermeasure. It may have taken weeks but eventually, everything worked out splendidly. Naturally, I was as happy as I could possibly be. No one else, I am sure, could have helped me eliminate those faults so positively and so permanently as Harold did. That fellow was a genius as a teacher. No doubt about it.

Look for the complete article here:

Harold Brasch Remembered, part 2 (by Arthur Lehman)

Submit "Harold Brasch Remembered, part 2" to Digg Submit "Harold Brasch Remembered, part 2" to Submit "Harold Brasch Remembered, part 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Harold Brasch Remembered, part 2" to Google