• Recent Forum Activity

iMav

Adams E3 owners! What mouthpieces do you use??

Thread Starter: iMav

Curious to see what other E3 owners are currently using on their horns. I currently use an SM4U, but want to try a few different combinations once I...

Last Post By: Russell_B Today, 07:22 PM Go to last post
    Micah.Dominic.Parsons

Euphonium Practice App

Thread Starter: Micah.Dominic.Parsons

Hello everyone, I have recently seen a rise in popularity of mobile phone apps which allow the user to track their health, fitness and even track...

Last Post By: bopeuph 03-16-2024, 10:38 PM Go to last post
    lowbrass4837282

fixing old horn

Thread Starter: lowbrass4837282

I was wondering if it is a good idea to buy an old beat up horn, I believe its a Besson sovereign, buy it for around 1k and then repair it...

Last Post By: bopeuph 03-16-2024, 10:39 PM Go to last post
    WilliamMcEuph

John Packer JP374ST with Modifications

Thread Starter: WilliamMcEuph

Hello everyone, Below are some specs and photos of my John packer horn. The gold plating turned out great I think. Although one bottom cap got...

Last Post By: DEF1 Today, 05:30 PM Go to last post
    ann reid

Soft gig bag for Conn Connstellation?

Thread Starter: ann reid

I’d be playing my Conn Connstellation euphonium more if I didn’t have to lug the old fashioned customized wood case, which I think weighs more than...

Last Post By: bopeuph Today, 07:54 PM Go to last post
    RickF

Henry Mancini greats

Thread Starter: RickF

I just stumbled on this video from 50 yrs ago of Henry Mancini conducting his orchestra playing 3 of his best known hits... "Pink Panther", "Baby...

Last Post By: SteveMcGovern Today, 04:38 PM Go to last post
  • Articles for Euphonium and Tuba RSS Feed

by Published on 04-24-2020 01:38 PM     Number of Views: 7116 
    1. Categories:
    2. Articles
    Article Preview

Some thoughts on playing the euphonium
    by Geoffrey Whitham

Published with kind permission of British Bandsman:
    www.britishbandsman.com

It is advisable for the euphonium student to learn the extensive use of the 4th valve. Most players think that the 4th valve is for extending the ...
    by Published on 09-22-2017 05:21 PM  Number of Views: 17415 
    1. Categories:
    2. Articles
    Article Preview

ME, MYSELF and I:
    Are Orchestral Brass Players Losing the Concept of Being Team Players?
    by Douglas Yeo
    by Published on 04-14-2016 12:00 AM     Number of Views: 13130 
    1. Categories:
    2. Articles
    Article Preview

Band History 101
    by Richard Barth
    (Used with permission of www.bigmouthbrass.com)

Introduction:

In my career I have had the great good fortune to have met, played for and learned from some legends and giants in the music industry. The Cleveland Orchestra's Summer Home, Blossom Music Center has a concert band comprised of some orchestra members and other
    professionals from NortheastOhio. I had the good fortune to be a member of that band when Meredith Wilson (shown on the left) was the Director. For those that ...
    Published on 05-07-2015 05:42 PM  Number of Views: 18760 
    Article Preview

The Entertainment Value of Novelty:
    Women Brass Musicians on the Vaudeville Stage

by
    Dr. Joanna Ross Hersey
    The University of North Carolina at Pembroke

"The changes that separate us from the Victorians date to the turn of the century, and they were acted out on the Vaudeville stage."1

On a December evening in 1905, trombone soloist E. Ralphena Parsons prepared for her usual night's work. Parsons was in the middle of a nationwide tour as a member of the Cleveland Ladies Orchestra (see Figure 1), and that night they were performing in Boone, Iowa. Parsons, advertised as the "greatest of all lady trombonists,"2 shared the stage with cornet soloist Adda Hutchinson. Both women performed in the ensemble and as soloists in theaters and parks across the country. On that chilly December evening in Iowa, Parsons might have played an opera aria by Donizetti, or perhaps a popular favorite written as a theme and variations such as the Blue Bells of Scotland. The variations would allow her to show off her technical skill, ending with a flourish of double or triple tonguing designed to leave the audience, and perhaps Parsons herself, breathless. The two women went on stage that night as usual and received rave reviews for their performance in the local newspaper the following morning. "Miss Parsons' renditions on the trombone were such that she was recalled for the third time," noted a Daily News reporter. "The work of the entire orchestra and soloists was of the highest order. The members played with vim and precision and showed such command over their instruments that the audience was fairly fascinated."3

This article will examine the publicity material and press coverage of numerous touring chamber and symphonic music acts performing with female brass players between 1890 and 1930. Groups such as the Phillips Sisters Orchestra, the Cathedral Trumpeters, and the Brewer Concert Entertainers toured the nation performing on the established vaudeville and theater circuit. These groups never made the big time, and most left no recordings.

Figure 1
    The Cleveland Ladies Orchestra, with soloists Adda Hutchinson and E. Ralphena Parsons, ca. 1905
    All photos in this article courtesy of the Library of Congress' American Memory Project

Their stories can only be guessed at, but even the smallest glimpse provides a fascinating look at the ...
    Published on 03-24-2015 09:25 AM  Number of Views: 20318 
    1. Categories:
    2. Articles
    Article Preview

Written by William James on Feb. 17, 2015. Used with the author's permission.

Mr. James' website is:
    http://williamjamespercussion.com/

He is a graduate of the New England Conservatory and Principal Percussionist of the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra. His articles have been published in Percussive Notes and the PAS periodical. He has presented at the 2010, 2012, and 2014 PAS International
    by Published on 04-27-2015 05:44 PM     Number of Views: 26046 
    1. Categories:
    2. Articles
    Article Preview

The Euphonium Family
    The Baritone, Euphonium, and Double-Bell Euphonium

A thorough discussion of the instruments in the euphonium family, covering their history and development, the various types of instruments, and their history of usage.
    Published on 12-20-2014 02:00 PM  Number of Views: 15620 
    Article Preview

My Friends in the Lower Octave
    by Denis Wick

Edited from Denis Wick's Facebook page (where it was posted on Dec. 16, 2014)

Denis Wick has had a long and productive career as a player and teacher. And for much of that time he has been working on the "hardware" side of music to develop better equipment for players (you can learn more about that on his business site, www.deniswick.com). I personally own many pounds of Wick mouthpieces and mutes, as one example. His work on both sides has been in cooperation with some of the finest brass players in the world. Below is an article Denis Wick agreed to share with this website's visitors, which is on his Facebook page and has previously appeared in The Brass Herald. I think you will find it instructional and entertaining. ...
    Published on 12-07-2014 07:00 PM  Number of Views: 22777 
    Article Preview

Q and A with Steven Mead

On November 25, 2014, euphonium virtuoso Steven Mead offered on his Facebook page (the "Steven Mead Euphonium Club") to answer three questions. He has kindly given me permission to display the complete list of conversations here so they will be more generally available. You can also follow Steven on his website, Euphonium.net.
    Published on 09-03-2014 08:25 PM  Number of Views: 13834 
    Article Preview

The great euphoniumist and teacher Barrie Perrins discusses the importance of an accompanist to a musical performance. He covers the partnership aspect, the respect one pays the accompanist by providing proper parts from which to play, nervousness, showmanship, and several other topics. ...
    Published on 06-10-2013 07:13 PM  Number of Views: 613169 
    Article Preview

Indiana University Tuba-Euphonium Oral History Project

Oral History Interview of Dr. Paul Droste

Recorded in Columbus, Ohio, March 25th, 2000Dr. Paul Droste
    Dr. Carole Nowicke

Also present: Mr. Paul E. Bierley

Approved by Narrator, November 2000, International Tuba-Euphonium Association
    Published on 05-20-2013 02:00 PM  Number of Views: 14681 
    1. Categories:
    2. Articles
    Article Preview

In the early 1970's. A friend of mine who subscribed to the Gramophone magazine called my attention to a short paragraph that said that Robert Hoe of Poughkeepsie, NY had issued 2 LP's of of marches played by the U.S. Navy Band. I got his telephone number from information ...
    Published on 04-22-2013 10:37 PM  Number of Views: 62572 
    1. Categories:
    2. Articles
    Article Preview

International Tuba-Euphonium Association Oral History Project

Oral History Interview of Mr. Henry Charles Smith III

Recorded in Bloomington, Indiana October 5th , 2001
    Henry Charles Smith III
    Carole Nowicke
    Approved by Narrator, January 2002
    , International Tuba-Euphonium Association
    Published on 09-02-2012 08:28 PM  Number of Views: 53834 
    Article Preview

A Sabbatical Report

Spring Semester, 1998
    Audition Processes and Procedures in
    Washington, D.C. Military Bands and Choruses

and

Selected (Civilian) Professional Orchestras and Choruses

Jerry A. Young, Ed.D.

Professor of Music

The University of Wisconsin - Eau ClaireMay, 1998
    by Published on 01-18-2014 03:58 PM  Number of Views: 21228 

Film Composers and their Symphonic Music
    by David Werden

For my topic I chose to examine the music of several film composers who have also written symphonic music. The composers I chose are Bernard Herrmann, Erich Korngold, Alex North, David Raksin, Miklos Rozsa, and John Williams. I was able to find recordings of the symphonies of Herrmann and Korngold, and the Sinfonietta by John Williams. ...
    by Published on 12-07-2019 06:23 PM  Number of Views: 9593 
    1. Categories:
    2. Articles
    Article Preview

Mouthpiece Design

originally written by Tranquillo Forza
    summarized for this site by Silvano Franzi

I have observed that several euphoniumists do not have a precise knowledge of how a mouthpiece is made and how it can influence the sound we get from our instrument. This is due, in part, to the scarce or almost non-existent literature on the subject. To remedy this, I would like to point out an interesting work written by one of my compatriots twenty years ago which examines the various aspects of the mouthpiece and provides an exhaustive picture of the subject in all aspects. I purchased this book in 2002, from which I learned ...

• Shop for Music

Sheet Music Plus Teacher

Sheet Music Plus Play Alongs