• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Index of Articles

Index of Articles

My Friends in the Lower Octave
    by Denis Wick

Edited from Denis Wick's Facebook page (where it was posted on Dec. 16, 2014). Used with permission.
    Denis Wick has had a long and productive career as a player and teacher. And for much of that time he has been working on the "hardware" side of music to develop better equipment for players (you can learn more about that on his business site, www.deniswick.com). I personally own many pounds of Wick mouthpieces and mutes, as one example....
    Go to post

• Adams Euphoniums - A Guide to the Choices

Adams Euphoniums - A Guide to the Choices

Adams Brass makes some amazing euphoniums, which are all built by hand. This type of production enables incremental improvements over time, as well as enabling customers to special order an instrument that is most suitable for them.

You can order a euphonium with...

Metal thicknesses affects the tone and power-handling, and it is felt a bit in the agility with which the horn negotiates intervals. The thicker the metal, the darker the sound, and the better it will handle
    Go to post
    Last edited by davewerden; Yesterday, 02:17 PM.

• Double-Bell Euphonium - What? Why?

Double-Bell Euphonium - What? Why?

What Is a Double-Bell Euphonium?
    What Was It Used For?
    What CAN It Be Used For?

On the Double-Bell Euphonium Facebook group, observers and new users are asking questions about this unique instrument. To provide a decent knowledge base, I borrowed some of my article "The Euphonium Family," revised it, and added much more content.

The double-bell euphonium is arguably one of the oddest brass instruments to be mass-produced in the 20th century. An...
    Go to post
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-13-2024, 05:52 PM.

• The Wisdom of Werden, Talking Euphonium with David Werden

The Wisdom of Werden, Talking Euphonium with David Werden

Trey Reely
    Part 1, from February March 2023
    (Used here with permission of The Instrumentalist Magazine)

Editor’s Note: Mr. Werden had so much intriguing and useful information during our recent interview that we have divided the article into two parts. This first part covers many practical playing tips for directors and players. In the next issue [included here], we will go into more depth on his remarkable...
    Go to post
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-11-2024, 07:51 PM.

• Doc Severinsen: How Great Is the Difference?

Doc Severinsen: How Great Is the Difference?

FOR BRASS TEACHERS
    Carl "Doc" Severinsen:

How Great Is the Difference?
    Reprinted with permission of
    Getzen Company, Inc.

This is a question that has come to my mind after observing and playing with a wide range of school musical organizations in recent years. Most students and some teachers would lead me to believe that there is some great mystery or miracle within the gap that separates the "finished" players from the "unfinished." Many of the questions...
    Go to post
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-11-2024, 07:52 PM.

• Some Thoughts On Playing the Euphonium by Geoffrey Whitham

Some Thoughts On Playing the Euphonium by Geoffrey Whitham

Some thoughts on playing the euphonium
    by Geoffrey Whitham

Published with kind permission of British Bandsman:
    www.britishbandsman.com

It is advisable for the euphonium student to learn the extensive use of the 4th valve. Most players think that the 4th valve is for extending the range into the pedal register. While this thought is correct, the 4th valve, like any other valve, has its natural harmonics and, in combination with the other valves, can achieve...
    Go to post
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-11-2024, 07:52 PM.

• Design Factors in Euphonium Mouthpieces

Design Factors in Euphonium Mouthpieces

Mouthpiece Design

originally written by Tranquillo Forza
    summarized for this site by Silvano Franzi
    I have observed that several euphoniumists do not have a precise knowledge of how a mouthpiece is made and how it can influence the sound we get from our instrument. This is due, in part, to the scarce or almost non-existent literature on the subject. To remedy this, I would like to point out an interesting work written by one of my compatriots twenty years ago which examine...
    Go to post
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-11-2024, 07:53 PM.

• Brass Band 101 - Dublin Silver Band

Brass Band 101 - Dublin Silver Band

Dublin Silver Band: Brass Band 101
    (used here with permission)

List of roles for every seat in the traditional British Brass Band

The Brass Band is too often mistakenly treated like a brass ensemble or EVEN a wind band. These are a few concepts that are what set the brass band apart from other ensembles.
    • The brass band should be thought of as a combination of many 4-part ensembles stacked on top of one another:
      • Front row cornets
      • Back row cornets
      • Horns
      • Euphoniums
    Go to post
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-11-2024, 07:53 PM.

• Audition Observations from Alex Iles

Audition Observations from Alex Iles

Alex Iles is the group admin for Trombone Pedagogy on Facebook. He just posted the thoughts below, which are sound advice for anyone contemplating an audition. Alex gave his permission to re-print it here.

We held principal trumpet auditions yesterday and I thought I'd share some thoughts and observations from the other side of the screen. We listened to 32 players. 6 played a semi final round. 3 played a final round (with conductor added to committee). We chose two of the finalists...
    Go to post
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-14-2024, 07:07 PM.

• Me Myself, and I - by Douglas Yeo

Me Myself, and I - by Douglas Yeo

ME, MYSELF and I:
    Are Orchestral Brass Players Losing the Concept of Being Team Players?
    by Douglas Yeo
    (comments below by Gene Pokorny)

Used here with permission - D.W.

Over the past two decades, there has been a veritable explosion in the development of the modern trombone. Players are now confronted with a dizzying array of choices in mouthpiece, bells, leadpipes, valves and slides. Many manufacturers offer the player the chance to put together...
    Go to post
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-11-2024, 07:54 PM.
There are no articles in this category.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.

article_tags

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Adams Euphoniums - A Guide to the Choices
    by davewerden
    Adams Brass makes some amazing euphoniums, which are all built by hand. This type of production enables incremental improvements over time, as well as enabling customers to special order an instrument that is most suitable for them.

You can order a euphonium with...

Metal thicknesses affects the tone and power-handling, and it is felt a bit in the agility with which the horn negotiates intervals. The thicker the metal, the darker the sound, and the better it will handle
    04-13-2024, 01:31 PM
  • Double-Bell Euphonium - What? Why?
    by davewerden
    What Is a Double-Bell Euphonium?
    What Was It Used For?
    What CAN It Be Used For?

On the Double-Bell Euphonium Facebook group, observers and new users are asking questions about this unique instrument. To provide a decent knowledge base, I borrowed some of my article "The Euphonium Family," revised it, and added much more content.

The double-bell euphonium is arguably one of the oddest brass instruments to be mass-produced in the 20th century. An...
    02-12-2024, 05:31 PM
  • The Wisdom of Werden, Talking Euphonium with David Werden
    by davewerden
    Trey Reely
    Part 1, from February March 2023
    (Used here with permission of The Instrumentalist Magazine)

Editor’s Note: Mr. Werden had so much intriguing and useful information during our recent interview that we have divided the article into two parts. This first part covers many practical playing tips for directors and players. In the next issue [included here], we will go into more depth on his remarkable...
    08-26-2023, 06:37 PM
  • Doc Severinsen: How Great Is the Difference?
    by davewerden
    FOR BRASS TEACHERS
    Carl "Doc" Severinsen:

How Great Is the Difference?
    Reprinted with permission of
    Getzen Company, Inc.

This is a question that has come to my mind after observing and playing with a wide range of school musical organizations in recent years. Most students and some teachers would lead me to believe that there is some great mystery or miracle within the gap that separates the "finished" players from the "unfinished." Many of the questions...
    01-06-2021, 03:27 PM
  • Some Thoughts On Playing the Euphonium by Geoffrey Whitham
    by davewerden
    Some thoughts on playing the euphonium
    by Geoffrey Whitham

Published with kind permission of British Bandsman:
    www.britishbandsman.com

It is advisable for the euphonium student to learn the extensive use of the 4th valve. Most players think that the 4th valve is for extending the range into the pedal register. While this thought is correct, the 4th valve, like any other valve, has its natural harmonics and, in combination with the other valves, can achieve...
    04-22-2020, 07:52 PM
  • Design Factors in Euphonium Mouthpieces
    by davewerden
    Mouthpiece Design

originally written by Tranquillo Forza
    summarized for this site by Silvano Franzi
    I have observed that several euphoniumists do not have a precise knowledge of how a mouthpiece is made and how it can influence the sound we get from our instrument. This is due, in part, to the scarce or almost non-existent literature on the subject. To remedy this, I would like to point out an interesting work written by one of my compatriots twenty years ago which examine...
    11-27-2019, 06:23 PM
Working...
X