• Recent Forum Activity

Roger

Best euphonium

Thread Starter: Roger

Ok. This is just for fun . . . If money was no object, and you could only own one euphonium, which would it be?

Last Post By: Brass is Class 03-26-2024, 06:36 PM Go to last post
    franz

Modified instruments

Thread Starter: franz

Survey: have you made any changes to your instruments compared to the original state? I'm curious to know how many of you have made changes once you...

Last Post By: bdawley81 03-26-2024, 08:45 AM Go to last post
    spkissane

FS: Various Mouthpieces

Thread Starter: spkissane

Downsizing my mouthpiece "collection" since I don't really like having a "collection," lol. These are all either in brand-new or extremely lightly...

Last Post By: anadmai 03-26-2024, 06:53 AM Go to last post
    anadmai

Fs - tuba mouthpieces

Thread Starter: anadmai

For sale: 1. Denis Wick Heritage 3SL - 100.00 SOLD - 2. Laskey 32H - EU. it will come in a 28K case. I actually owned a 28K but when I...

Last Post By: anadmai Yesterday, 11:43 PM Go to last post
    guidocorona

New Giddings Hiram Diaz Signature piece

Thread Starter: guidocorona

Has anyone tried out the new Giddings Hiram Diaz Signature piece recently posted to the Giddings site? Even deeper than Carbonaria, according to...

Last Post By: guidocorona 03-26-2024, 01:01 PM Go to last post
    bopeuph

Info on this Holton euph?

Thread Starter: bopeuph

Got this Holton euphonium for a very good price. It's tiny for a euph, but it still sounds like a euph rather than a baritone, so I'm pretty sure...

Last Post By: bopeuph Yesterday, 08:44 PM Go to last post
    davewerden

FS: K&M Baritone-Euphonium Stand Like New or New

Thread Starter: davewerden

This is a popular stand for euphonium and AFAIK is adjustable to fit almost brand/model. The eBay seller's price is lower than Amazon by a bit and...

Last Post By: anadmai 03-26-2024, 02:11 PM Go to last post
  • Interview with Dr. Paul Droste

Paul Droste: This is Paul Droste, and I'm starting on my life story here, very quickly. I think playing the euphonium has opened every door to me, and everything that I've able to achieve in the musical world. I think being in a high school band and thoroughly enjoying playing those lovely euphonium counter-melodies led me to want to continue playing the instrument.

I enrolled at The Ohio State University as a freshman; I was never a double major, but the trombone took a back seat pretty quickly to the euphonium, and I had a wonderful experience in the O.S.U. Concert Band under Don McGinnis, and obviously, the O.S.U. Marching Band under Jack Evans.

I played a little bit of trombone at that time in the O.S.U. Symphony Orchestra, and continued that into adult life in substituting in the Columbus Symphony from time to time, and playing in two very, very good brass quintets on trombone.

But the euphonium opened the door for graduate work at the Eastman School of Music. I was the first doctorate in euphonium performance (a MusD) in the country, I think, from the University of Arizona in 1971. I joined the faculty of The Ohio State University as the euphonium studio instructor in 1965, and became director of the O.S.U Marching Band in 1970. In my retirement from the Marching Band in 1984 I started the Brass Band of Columbus, which is a British-style brass band.

I now work part-time for Colonial Music, making service calls on nearby schools. I think it's an ideal part-time job for a retired band director and music educator. I'm not sure I'd want to make a career out of it - however, looking at maybe a 20 or 30 year span, but eight to ten years sounds pretty good to me.

My main thrust right now is the Brass Band of Columbus. This was formed in 1984. We're all amateurs, but realistically speaking, I have the best of the free-lance brass and percussion players in Columbus, Ohio, and central Ohio in my band. Most recent news of the band, we've been invited to be a part of the British Open (not the competition) but the British Open Weekend in September of 2000. We will be playing at the World of Brass Band concert, that will feature bands from Norway, Belgium, the United States, England, and New Zealand. We are very honored by this invitation, and although it's a headache doing the fund-raising, I think it's going to be a real step-ahead for the Brass Band of Columbus.

Through all of these, again, the euphonium has remained prominent in my thinking and positioning. I think I attended one of the first T.U.B.A. meetings in Chicago in the early 1970s, and have been somewhat on-board ever since. I think you probably have more specific questions about that, so if that's enough of my life I'll stop there.
  • Shop for Music

Sheet Music Plus Teacher

Sheet Music Plus Play Alongs