• Recent Forum Activity

Sara Hood

Where am I musically?

Thread Starter: Sara Hood

My name is Sara Hood and I am a second time adult student of the Baritone horn. I played in high school, but not for about 20 years after that. ...

Last Post By: mbrown Yesterday, 09:14 AM Go to last post
    Ntm

Euphonium opportunities?

Thread Starter: Ntm

I'm a young player (14) and I have a few questions. Let me start off by saying that euphonium is not my first instrument. I started out playing the...

Last Post By: Eupher6 01-16-2018, 01:17 PM Go to last post
    LittleJimmy

I like my Yamaha 621s baritone but

Thread Starter: LittleJimmy

I think I pull slides and empty spit valves more than with any other horn, including several euphoniums, that I have ever played. I want to play a...

Last Post By: jkircoff Today, 12:44 PM Go to last post
    joshealejo

Marzan compensated euphonium 3350 usd

Thread Starter: joshealejo

Greetings ;) I am selling my silverplated Marzan frontal compensated Euphonium. Those where made by Kurath (now Wilson) in Switzerland. Besides...

Last Post By: joshealejo Yesterday, 11:16 PM Go to last post
    Yung Shammgod

Daily Exercise Technique Building Recommendations

Thread Starter: Yung Shammgod

Hello everyone, I am a student who plays the Euphonium. I am fairly good at my instrument, DEFINITELY good at auditioning, but I feel like I could be...

Last Post By: run76 01-16-2018, 10:49 PM Go to last post
  • Interview with Henry Charles Smith

International Tuba-Euphonium Association Oral History Project

Oral History Interview of Mr. Henry Charles Smith III

Recorded in Bloomington, Indiana October 5th , 2001
    Henry Charles Smith III
    Carole Nowicke
    Approved by Narrator, January 2002
    , International Tuba-Euphonium Association
    This article appears with permission of the ITEA. It it one of over 40 such interviews with famous tuba and euphonium players, which are available to all ITEA members.
    See this blog post to learn more about the other oral history interviews.

Henry Charles Smith III

Henry Charles Smith won the Grammy with the Philadelphia Brass Quintet for the "Best Classical Record of the Year" in 1969. While on the conducting staff of the Minnesota Orchestra, he conducted more than 1,000 concerts. As principal trombonist with the Philadelphia Orchestra, he played more than 2,000 concerts with Eugene Ormandy and many of the 20th century's other great conductors. As trombone and euphonium soloist, chamber music player, and writer and editor, his recordings and editions are internationally known.

Guest conducting engagements include the Detroit, Dallas, and Kansas City symphonies; St. Paul Chamber Orchestra; and the Indianapolis, San Antonio, and Phoenix symphonies. He has served on the faculties of the Curtis Institute of Music, Indiana University, Temple University, and the University of Texas, and is a Professor Emeritus at Arizona State University. Mr. Smith has been a frequent guest conductor, speaker, clinician, and soloist across the United States. He has conducted the Young Artist Orchestra at Tanglewood for 16 years. He recently completed his 12th and final season as music director of the South Dakota Symphony.

Biographical note courtesy of Mr. Smith.

Note:
    this is a multi-page article.
    Use the navigation at the top and bottom
    to move from page to page.

Mr. Smith describes his early musical experiences, mentioning studies with Donald Reinhardt, Robert Lambert, and Charles Gusikoff, his education at the University of Pennsylvania and the Curtis Institute of Music, and the influence of William Kincaid and Marcel Tabuteau. He discusses his recordings with Glenn Gould, the Philadelphia Brass Ensemble, "Torchy Jones Quintet," and the famous Antiphonal Music of Gabrieli recording with the brass sections of the Philadelphia, Chicago, and Cleveland brass ensembles, as well as his solo albums on trombone and euphonium. Among works Mr. Smith commissioned were the Alan Hovhannes Symphony No. 29 for euphonium and orchestra, the Donald White Lyric Suite, and Charles Forsberg's Serenade for Euphonium and Orchestra, he discusses the background of the pieces as well as several trombone works by John Davison. He was also involved in changing the design of the valve ports and tuning mechanism for the Conn Constellation euphonium. Mr. Smith ends the interview by mentioning some of his former students at Indiana University.

• Shop for Music

Sheet Music Plus Teacher

Sheet Music Plus Play Alongs