View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Review: Monster Oil's New ECO Oil and Grease - Made from Vegetable Products

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monster 33.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	11269I learned of Monster Oil several years ago. The company was formed by 3 trumpet players from The U.S. Coast Guard Band and their first products were some very fine synthetic oil. They also had a Doc Severinsen model that was very thin and fast. At some point early on they came out with a synthetic slide grease. Back then I did not want to use synthetic oil, but I really liked their slide grease. It had just to viscosity I was looking for.

I've been on the ...
  2. Great Tips from Adam Frey: The ART / GAME of Practice

Most readers here probably know that Adam Frey is a long-time, dedicated educator. He is very articulate about a great many sub-topics in the realm of music practice, and he used these talents to create a pair of books: "The Art of Practice" and "The Game of Practice." The former describes practice techniques and concepts, and the latter is an aid to put the various concepts ...

Updated 01-19-2024 at 07:14 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Performance Tips , Reviews
  3. Why Join ITEA? Here are SOME of the Reasons

The International Tuba-Euphonium Association is a valuable organization. They have conferences in various locations where you can hear top artists, see the latest music and instruments, and meet many new/old friends. They publish a quarterly journal, which is currently being expanded to include content for players of all abilities and ages. You can be a member and get the electronic journal for only $35/year! If you prefer a printed journal that is available for $55/year. Learn more here: https://iteaonline.org/join-itea/ ...
  4. Review: International Songbook for Euphonium by David Werden

I just came across the review of my "International Songbook for Euphonium" from the online journal of the International Tuba-Euphonium Association. You would need to be a member to see the whole journal, but I have their permission to reprint reviews of my own material.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Songbook Cover.jpg 
Views:	6378 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	10955International Tuba-Euphonium Association Journal (online edition), July 1, 2023

The International Songbook for Euphonium. Euphonium and Piano. Traditional. Arranged by David ...

Updated 11-24-2023 at 11:41 AM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Reviews
  5. We Have Gone Secure!

We made the big jump this week to a secure (SSL, https) site. We don't handle financial information, but a secure site is friendlier (because you don't see scary "not secure" messages in your browser). Also Google is pushing very hard to have all sites running in https, and will downgrade search results for a site that is not.

There are probably some "holes" in the far corners of the site that I have not found yet, but I'm checking everything as quickly as I can. There are about 2000-3000 ...
  6. Review of the Ultimate Brass "Adam Frey" Mouthpiece

Hang onto your hats! There is another fine choice now in the realm of Wick/Bach size 4 mouthpieces. This one is made by Ultimate Brass for Adam Frey. Changing my pattern a bit, I'm relaying on the video for most of the review. I'll say first that the mouthpiece is a good competitor and is fairly comfortable to play if you are already accustomed this general size.

I'm comparing to my Alliance DC4, which seems to be the closer of the 2 mouthpieces I'm using now (my other, the DC3, is ...
  7. Free Music Lessons in Church

Name:  Dave Playing in Church.jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  10.8 KBLet me start by saying that you don't have to be a member of a church to benefit from the free lessons I discuss, although some of the lessons will have more impact on your music education with more exposure. In my case I had a gappy relationship with church. My parents, and later my older sister, took me to church regularly during my younger years. But around my 7th grade year that mostly stopped. My relationship with church started up again while I was in the early ...

Updated 09-27-2023 at 01:59 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Performance Tips
  8. Review: Euphonium Mouthpieces from Austin Custom Brass

REVIEW OF AUSTIN CUSTOM BRASS
    EUPHONIUM MOUTHPIECES: #1, #2, and #3

An exciting new line of euphonium mouthpieces brought to us by the fine people at Austin Custom Brass in Kansas City.
    Our friends at Austin Custom Brass have been busy! A while ago we learned they produced some nice euphoniums as part of their "Doubler" instrument line. Now we learned that ACB has produced an interesting line of euphonium mouthpieces!

There are three models, numbered simply 1, 2, and 3. However, what is not so simple is the way the numbers relate to each design. ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 ACB Mouthieces Posed.jpg 
Views:	3199 
Size:	807.4 KB 
ID:	10680  
Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast